Logo

1972 65HP Evinrude electric shift problem

Manus224

Hi all
I have an electric shift 1972 65hp evinrude, model 65273S, the gear seems to be stuck in forward, I have learnt from having read some of the forums that this is the default position if something goes wrong with the unit, but has anyone got any advice on how to track down where the problem may be?
So far I have tested the voltage at the gear shift cable connections. when the shift is in neutral there is power to only one wire, when I shift it to reverse there is power to both and when I shift it to forward there is no power to either .....a previous thread on here has advised that this is the way it should be so all seems to be ok there, so I assume the problem may lie in the solenoid.

How do I test the solenoid? or is there something else I am missing or some other test that can be done that might isolate where the problem lies?
The cable has been broken in the past in the exhaust housing and has been repaired, the repair looks good and does not appear to be loose or faulty, the connections are well sealed so not sure if the problem lies in this area or not.

Any advice would be greatly received

Last edited:
It would appear that your test is valid......assuming you are doing the voltage tests at the cable to the lower unit while still connected. If you are, then everything is OK up to that point. Now you have to do a resistance test from there on down. Do that with the cable disconnected. Sorry, I'm away from home now and don't have the specs with me. You must remember that the electrical portion ends at the solenoids, and from there on, it shifts by hydraulic pressure. So, if the solenoids pass the resistance test, it has to come apart to see what's wrong with the hydraulics. And yes, the hydraulic pressure simply isn't there unless it is full of the correct oil and running.

The patched cable concerns me. They are very hard to patch successfully.

Thanks guys.....

Kimcrwbr1.... thanks for the wiring diagram. That will prove to be useful I am sure.
Faztbullet ....thanks for that...The motor was running when I tested it and I did test at the cable going down to the solenoids so I am confident that at that stage everything is ok. I have also taken on board your comment re oil....I am going to change the oil in the gearbox. The unit was running previously however I do not know for sure that they have used the right oil so was going to change it anyway and have ensured I got the correct oil. better safe than sorry I guess.:D

Fdrgator, raceone and boobie, I will go get a multimeter today and test the wires leading down to the solenoids. When i said the wires had been patched, they were more replaced and connected about two inches from the solenoid so it is new wire from there up to the connection by the engine. Hopefully if the multimeter gives me good readings I can rest easy that that connection should be ok.
I will need to have a crash course on using a multimeter though...I am as far removed from being an electrical genius as one can be:)
but will get one and see if I can make it work....

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate your input

Thanks guys.....

Kimcrwbr1.... thanks for the wiring diagram. That will prove to be useful I am sure.
Faztbullet ....thanks for that...The motor was running when I tested it and I did test at the cable going down to the solenoids so I am confident that at that stage everything is ok. I have also taken on board your comment re oil....I am going to change the oil in the gearbox. The unit was running previously however I do not know for sure that they have used the right oil so was going to change it anyway and have ensured I got the correct oil. better safe than sorry I guess.:D

Fdrgator, raceone and boobie, I will go get a multimeter today and test the wires leading down to the solenoids. When i said the wires had been patched, they were more replaced and connected about two inches from the solenoid so it is new wire from there up to the connection by the engine. Hopefully if the multimeter gives me good readings I can rest easy that that connection should be ok.
I will need to have a crash course on using a multimeter though...I am as far removed from being an electrical genius as one can be:)
but will get one and see if I can make it work....

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate your input

Just an update, the multimeter showed a reading of just over 6 on both cables so all seems to be ok there, so I will change the oil next and try again, hopefully that fixes it, or it will have to be off to the boat shop. thanks all

Actually it still operates and shift with the wrong oil , just not the best for the unit.

yes I have heard that before so not holding much hope that changing the oil will fix it, so I guess it is the solenoid, time for the shop to intervene I think

Final update.....it is fixed........ I drained the old gear oil and there was hardly any in there, I estimate only about 150mls or so, that, I am picking, was the problem. I put the new oil in and away it went...... shifting gears like a dream
it appears that without the sufficient amount of oil it does not have the pressure to change.

Its been a great learning curve that's for sure

cheers for all the suggestions, much appreciated

It sure is the little things,

Scalhoun....the oil looked ok, dark but no milkyness and no grit in the oil, though I do suspect a leak and probably round the seals at the rear of the prop. But it also could easily be the last guy probably did not top up properly knowing him, hence why I am redoing all the basic stuff :D:confused:

Back