Logo

Compression test on a BF90

skronkman

Regular Contributor
I tested a BF90 (2002) and got 170psi on all 4 cylinders. Can anyone tell me if this sounds right? Does anyone know the spec for this motor? Possibly a little low? At least it's all even. Im considering buying a boat with this motor on it but am unable to water test it before purchase (crazy I know). Starts easy and runs fine at low revs on the muffs. I've seen plenty of motors that can seem perfect in a bucket but everything goes bad on the water.

Cheers.

I checked the old threads and it appears that there is no spec in psi for these motors. Does anyone have any real world experience that I can use to compare 170psi with?

Honda Dude posted the specs sometime back. I think they were in the low 200's. Many times a value adjustment and a good decarb will get them back up to specs.

213 +- 14 Psi , that is the cylinder compression at 300 rpm. (engine should warm up,throttle fully open )

wajira

Thanks for the replies. The comp probably was ok (I ran it cold, doh) But decided against buying it as a few of the bolts were seized and I've had to deal with that before and it's not fun. The more I did the math on the boat and considered the possible issues the less it seemed like a bargain. Thanks for the help chawk and wajira.

Back