Logo

30hp mercury outboard

Wayne74

Hi we were out on the water yesterday on the way back in the motor was going fine the the revs stayed up but boat slowed right down it would move the boat slowly on just over idle speed but revved like a clutch was slipping in a car I was thinking the drive shaft has broken but turning the prop by hand seems to be fine any ideas?

Spun prop I would think.Put a mark with sharpie or white out across the prop hub,give it a run see if the marks align.

Easier to replace but there are plenty of prop shops in the 'States,few and far between my side of the Atlantic,to the point that it is cheaper to buy new.

You should be able to buy a prop hub kit for that motor and change it yourself. Do 'em all the time, using a long, threaded rod, a plate on one end, and a bunch of spacers.

Jeff

Dealer I worked for many moons ago we replaced prop hubs, a press and coca cola worked great. How do you keep them straight without a jig???The jigs we had was flat plate with 3 sliding pins to go in exhaust part of hub and replaceable guide pin sized like propshaft

You should be able to buy a prop hub kit Jeff
Interesting,I have two spun props,they are two bladed 19" props, but as I said,cheaper to buy new and Flo thru hubs easier to change.But I wonder where I could buy the replacement rubber hubs as they seem to be impossible to find here.Can't seem to find anywhere online that would sell and ship to Ireland.Access to press is not a problem.

Is it possible to get a prop shop to sell the hubs? Or is it a closed shop and you need to know someone?And if possible,what do they cost?
Not just for my benefit,a lot of people out there with own tools and a bit of imagination will be wondering.

..."don't see how to get enough pressure with threaded rod and spacers"

I use a 1/2 inch size all thread. Usually works fine, but it goes through a lot of nuts!

Jeff

Back