Logo

2006 Mercury 50hp 2 stroke wont start...

dhearn0513

Contributing Member
I took the boat out duck hunting this morning and it was running great. On the way back into the boat ramp it was running fine. It stated to sputter and shut off. It would start back up and then shut right off again. After getting home 1st thing I did was a compression test.
#1 = 115
#2 = 117
#3 = 115
I have to believe that the compression is fine.
2nd thing I checked was spark. All three plugs show good blue spark and able to jump a 7/16 gap. After trying to start it for a while I checked the plugs again and looked like oil on the plugs. I am leaning in the direction of the fuel pump going bad. It will fire once in a while and blow out alot of smoke. I am not a outboard mechanic by far but seems to me that mean its getting oil and maybe not getting fuel. Any input would be greatly welcome.

It a tiller handle motor running off a small 6 gallon tank. I will check the fuel filter on the engine though. Sorry for not adding that ifo in the original post. I noticed that the primer bulb has a small pin hole. I don't think that would prevent it from starting.

I spark gap tested the motor today. what is the gap i should be able to jump. I know on other motors they like to see 7/16. Is it different with this motor.

Now that's amusing! It amazes me how some people think the spark needed by a, say, 4 hp. OB can be far less that the spark needed by a 300 hp V-6!

Jeff

PS: It ain't!

Exactly how did you determine this was your btoblem? I think this could be my issue. Thanks
Disconnect the red plug on side of motor and jump the starter with screwdriver at the solnoid to shut the motor off there is a black button on top of the exterior choke solonoid push and hold it will shut motor odd

Back