Logo

Tilt control port side up

kmboxers

Hi All

New to this forum so hi to everyone in advance.....I have a Fairline Targa with twin Volvo Penta KAD42A's. I have a slight issue in that the port side engine leg refuses to raise - when I depress the down I hear the leg hydraulics but when I depress the upward I get nothing at all.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced such an issue and what the issue might be? At the moment I am at a it of a loss but logically I suspect it could be the relay for the 'UP'.

Grateful for you thoughts & Happy new year!

Could be the actual switch or could be the relay. Test for voltage at the relay with the switch pressed to see which it is. Neither issue is uncommon. Have seen a few relays with corrosion in the sockets they plug into.

Could be the actual switch or could be the relay. Test for voltage at the relay with the switch pressed to see which it is. Neither issue is uncommon. Have seen a few relays with corrosion in the sockets they plug into.

Thanks for that, I know it is not the switch as I tested the port switch on the starboard engine. My relays are not the easiest to get to so I will have to get in there and test the voltage. I suspect you Could be right with the corrosion aspect. Oddly it packed up a few weeks back then came back to life!

From memory there is a thick blue and a thick green green wire that go to the motor from the relays and the two relays reverse the voltage for the up and down action. You could try swapping the relays between their sockets or from the other side to check the relays, but corrosion in the socket is more likely I suspect. The relays are a reasonably common auto part if you need a new one.

Excellent, thanks for your help with this I will take a closer look and test/swap the relays. I'll let you know how I get on!

Back