Logo

KAMD43 Smoking

Gatesy

I have a Sealine with twin KAMD43's and the engines smoke quite badly, it fills the marina with blue smoke on startup and still smokes after running for an hour although not as bad. The engines start well run well and smoothly. The engines have about 1200 hours on them. I have recently bought the boat and haven't done anything as yet.

Hi, late reply, I hope you solved the problem, what i would have done is to run the boat low on fule, fill with correct diesel quality, not high sulfur stuff, bad on smoking, and very bad for the Environment.
With new better fuel in you sytem, the Engines will run withot smoke i Think.
You newer know what the prevous owner put in your tank.

Thanks for your help with this, I will give it a try and see if things change
Hi, late reply, I hope you solved the problem, what i would have done is to run the boat low on fule, fill with correct diesel quality, not high sulfur stuff, bad on smoking, and very bad for the Environment.
With new better fuel in you sytem, the Engines will run withot smoke i Think.
You newer know what the prevous owner put in your tank.

Gatesy,
Does it clear up when engines are up to operating temp. and under load?
Does the engine use any oil ?
Thanks for the reply, it is better when up to temperature and under load but when going back into the mooring and ticking over is quite bad again.

The smoke is definitely blue ? If so it seems like you would be using engine oil.
What kind of drive? Stern drive? Exhaust exits under water ?

The smoke is definitely blue ? If so it seems like you would be using engine oil.
What kind of drive? Stern drive? Exhaust exits under water ?

The boat is shaft drives, the smoke is blue but definitely diesel fumes, it doesn't seem to use oil but only used for a few hours up to yet, a mechanic on the marima suggested diesel /injector cleaner and diesel bug treatment in the tanks?

Leaky injectors may be your problem. It would be good to get them tested and you could do a compression test whilst they are out.

Back