Logo

kinked water pick-up tube

rictec343

Hello and happy holiday to all
I recently an older boat with a 1991 150hp evinrude engine I am having some overheating issues. I replaced the impeller when I went to re-install the lower unit, in my haste, I kinked the copper pickup tube. how do I replace it easily if there is such a thing. Do I need to remove the head? If so how do I accomplish this task

If you can, you are better off trying to straighten the tube as best you can. To take it off, you need to remove the powerhead and exhaust adapter.. in other words, pretty much a complete teardown. Now this is if you have the long water tube. Some models have a short tube that just plugs into the bottom of the exhaust tuner. You need to give us the engine model number so we know which one you have

If the kink isn't actually a "kink"... that is a extremely sharp bend like you grabbed it with both hands and bent it in half... but rather simply a smooth bend of sorts as it got shoved upwards, one can usually grab the bottom of the tube tightly either with long nose pliers OR the smaller size vice grip and hold downward pressure while applying pressure to the opposite side of the bend with some sort of pry bar.

Of course the bottom of the tube will get defaced somewhat BUT that can be rounded out with the long nose pliers. You have nothing to lose in the attempt... the alternative is a hellava job!

Back