Logo

86 150 stalls at slow idle - Max WOT 1500 RPM

rikclark

After being under way for 30 minutes of so my 86 150 ETLJ dropped to 1500 RPM, had no guts. Stalls when idling down to shift. Difficult to restart.

Topped off with fresh fuel and emptied a can of Sea Foam through the carbs while hooked to hose and "muffs". Seemed to be slight improvement in idle.

Next time back in the water, no improvement. Difficult to idle down and shift in to gear without stalling. Once underway, no guts and 1500 max RPM. Fast idle to 2200 RPM, engine fluctuates then drops back to 1500. Will not hold fast idle.

Should mention that after each time out i top off with fresh fuel and the appropriate amount of stabilizer.

After researching posts on similar issues, I am afraid I am looking at a carb rebuild, bu before I do thought I should invite input from others regarding what other options I might check out before I commit to rebuilding the carbs. All input welcome.

Not sure why folks blame the carburetors first.--------As said you start off with a compression test and then a spark test.----------A proper spark test uses a tool with an adjustable gap set at 7/16" ---------You should see spark jump that gap with a snap you can hear.

Back