Logo

Tilt and Trim Problems

blgriff

Here is the scenario, I have a 79 Skeeter with a 84 Evinrude xp 150 vro. I look out the window this morning and notice that the engine brace wasn't connected to the trailer. So I go outside and try to lower the engine back down via the tilt switch on the throttle annnddddd no power. So I take the battery out and put in a charged one and as soon as I connected the terminals the engine starts trying to tilt up. I have 2 switchs for the tilt and trim on the boat, one in the bow and One on the throttle. I checked both of them to make sure they weren't stuck and they both were fine. Now I'm lost, how is it the tilt and trim stuck in the constant up postion? We got a big rain last night in Florida so the boat got pretty wet. Does this happen when water gets to the fuse panel? Any help would be great. Thanks, Bryan

Water definitely got somewhere and shorted the "up" circuit. That could be a tough gremlin to chase... Gotta be somewhere in the switches or fuse panel..Surprised it didnt blow a fuse or trip a breaker button. (whichever you have). On a '79 model boat...all those "waterproof" switches aren't so waterproof anymore.

Did you test those two PTT switches by disconnecting them completely (taking them out of the circuit)? If not, do so.

Back