Logo

Compression problem

DaveS72

Hi I'm new here... I wrote this to Skip he said to post it here maybe someone could help....

Hi Skip this is Dave again with the 89' Johnson 88 hp outboard J88MSLCER, Hey I need to call you to explain whats going on with this motor... brief: I installed all the parts and took it for a spin it ran like a top for a couple minutes then started acting like it was running out of fuel so I pumped the primer bulb and it picked up some so we made it back and took it home , I thought it might have fouled a plug or the remote filter was getting plugged, I took the cover off and looked at the parts I put on everything ok except I noticed that the timer base would move up and down so I took the flywheel off and the tabs that hold it on and rebent them so it kept it from moving up like it was doing but still able to move the timer freely,i replaced the filter and we took it out again , was slow getting up on plane you could hear it trying to fire on all of them we ran it a little to see if it would clear up ,no luck so we took it home ,I pulled the plugs 3 were lite brown 1 was sooty like it was too rich, I decided to ck the compression 3 around 120 psi the sooty one had 5 to 10 psi, could a bad reed valve do that or is it the rings? I haven't pulled the head yet Dave

I even tried putting some wd40 in the cyl to see if the ring was stuck...I'm know I'm probably going to have to pull the head just want verification of that.

You stated " compression 3 around 120 psi the sooty one had 5 to 10 psi."

Remove the cylinder head of the low compression bank to inspect the sealing surfaces of the head and block, the head gasket, cylinder walls, piston, etc.

NOTE: WD40 has a cutting base. DO NOT be squirting that substance into the interior of the engine as it will cause the aluminum piston to grind against the steel cylinder wall.

I have a Johnson 40hp and runs good tell you put it in gear the it starts to miss and it shake the moter a bit when doing so??????

Back