Logo

Simple Green did me wrong

3-legged-dog

Contributing Member
2003 25' Crownline

a couple of years ago I was using Simple Green on a regular bases to clean my boat. until I noticed my labels on my switches disappearing and the finish on my wood grain fiberglass console getting eaten up... and finally i only used the product on my deck... until i left a bucket on my deck and it leaked leaving me with a nice stain/chemical burn on my deck.

i am looking for some advice on either getting a repair on my wood grain console or an aftermarket console, who sells them?

do i repaint the deck? what product? is it common to repaint the deck?

Thanks,console wearout.jpgdeck floor stain.jpg

great user name.. correct it is on the non-skid. To add to the problem the previous owner drilled wire connectors up thru the underside of the deck with screws. Which i temporally filled with 5100. I am getting the balls up to do some light fiberglass work to fix. not sure how to repaint the deck with regard to no-skid and smooth areas. I am just starting to read up on it.

I have applied cleaners, Scrubbed and last weekend i hit it with a pressure washer and a hull scrub cleaner.. nothing works.

Two good sources of information on refurbishing and refinishing are on the websites of West Marine and Jamestown Distributors.

For a non-skid deck coating, look into Kiwigrip. I've used it and I'm fairly pleased with the results. However, it is a pretty aggressive non-skid - i.e. it leaves a very rough surface. If you do a lot of barefootin', I wouldn't recommend it.

For the stain on the no-skid, try some high-cut rubbing compound. A diamond foam pad on a buffer might work, but because of the rough surface a medium bristle brush (like a boat brush) and a lot of elbow grease may be a better way to apply the compound. Certainly worth a try before you consider painting.

As for the dash panel- I've never heard of anyone making aftermarket panels, you could try contacting Crownline about a replacement. Trying to find a paint match (or even a paint process) that will match will be next to impossible.

Back