Logo

soft resets on console

3-legged-dog

Contributing Member
The boat is a 2003 25' Crownline Cruiser.

what are the purpose of these soft resets? I have never seen 1 trip yet I flow fuses all the time.

Thanks,

Attachments

• console switches.jpg
    console switches.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 28
Ayuh,.... Those appear to be circuit breakers,....

Where/ What fuses are ya blowin' all the time,..??

soft touch circuit breakers, correct! I have never seem them trip. I have inline fuses all over the place that have problems from time to time. I have circuit breakers everywhere. Cabin has main panel board w/12 volt setup, 4 breaker behind my drivers seat 2-50amp 2-30amp, 1 on the engine (these are hard as hell and do not push in or release) my inline fuses are everywhere 5 under the console, 5 at the battery's, for the bilge pump.

my front spot light and wind shield wiper are not working. I will have to track those down. not sure we they would scatter everything around.

The OEM installed circuit breakers in lieu of fuses. I can't see any logical reason for additional fuse protection if the breakers are all functioning correctly!

Perhaps rig up a variable amp load device, and test each circuit and the related breaker.
If the breakers trip at their rated value, and trip consistently at this value, remove the fuses from the circuits.

As for the two 50 amp and two 30 amp breakers..... I'd want these to protect the circuits beginning from as near the power source as feasible.
IOW, if the power feed makes a run from the engine bay to the helm, make sure that run is protected from its origin forward.

If I were in your position and having those types of issues, I would consider a complete rewiring job and I would re-fuse everything to make sure that all loads are properly fused. The reason for this is threefold. First, you'll stop blowing fuses and will get everything working properly. Second, after doing that, you will know and understand all of your electrical systems on the boat. Third, if you have an electrical failure on the water (and you will at some point in time, especially if in saltwater) you will know how to fix or bypass the issue. I'm on saltwater in the Chesapeake and Hatteras off shore. On my boat I carry a tool box and an electrical box that contains marine wire, fuses, connectors, multimeter, test wires, electrical tape, wire strippers, wire cutters, etc.

Chawk...... I fully agree with you, and your points 1, 2 and 3.

I too carry a pretty extensive electrical repair kit on board.... and it's more often used to help another boater.... (knock on wood)!

Back