Logo

Water leak into 2 stroke combustion chamber les or more smoke?

Alan Hitch

I was given and 1997 30hp 2 cyl 2 stroke that had been stored for about three years. The 2 stroke oil had been drained so I started it using the oil injection and a 50:1 oil mix in the gas tank. Before starting I bled the input line at the oil pump to make sure there were no air bubbles in the line. I was going to put in new spark plugs but when I pulled the old ones they looked brand new so I continued to use the old ones. When I turned it over it started right up with a puff of smoke then after running for only a little while smoked only a little bit. I have bled the oil line four times and ran it four times for about 10 min each time with the same results. I pulled the spark plugs and they were still very clean but wet. Running it 10 min at a time has not even got the heads warm and would expect a cold motor to smoke more but I don't know. So running the pre mix and a cold motor shouldn't I be seeing a lot of smoke? Running it a total of about 40 min should I be seeing something other than clean wet plugs? Could I be looking at water washed spark plugs? Sorry I can't post any pics at this time. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Running an OB motor at idle only will NEVER warm up the plugs. (If they did, they would melt at WOT operation.)

Jeff

Lots of people still add a bit of oil to the gas tank, not trusting the oil pump system, but running 50:! that way is a bit over conservative. I've heard of running 100:1 with the oil pump, which wouldn't mess the plugs up too badly.

Jeff

The oil pump is a metering pump as it will only work out to a 50:1 ratio if ran WOT for the entire tank, idling and midrange use will alter oil usage. At idle engine is about 85:1 ratio and about 55-50:1 at WOT.

I`m confused are you running 50:1 premix plus the oil injection? That should get you around 24:1 if the pump is working. That is a good idea to run it that way for at least one tank. That way you can confirm the pump is working properly first. Put a mark on the oil tank after you top both off oil and fuel. Burn up a tank of premix and then measure how much oil it used by filling to the line. top the tank off and convert gallons to ounces. Divide the ounces of oil into ounces of fuel if it works out to around 50:1 your good to go you dont need to premix.

Yes I'm using premix and the oil pump until I know the pump is working and thanks I'll do as you suggest.

I'm only running 50:1 while I determine if my oil pump is working. If it is I might continue to run 100:1 with a good synthetic anyway.

Back