Logo

1994 Honda 8hp 4 stroke

Mtnneer

I have a 1994 Honda 8hp 4 stroke....new carb Problem : gas getting into crankcase when motor is tilted to travel and or when running ?? Help !

How you found fuel getting in to crankcase ? did oil level goes high ?is it leaking from outside to crankcase? carb overflowing ? from where it is leaking?

wajira

Does it have a NEW CARB? OR, is it a new problem involving the carb as opposed to an old problem involving the carb? Your punctuation didn't help me much there.

Anyway, it sure sounds as if the float inlet valve is not sealing when the motor is tilted. If the outboard is tilted up high enough I could see how the fuel level in the float chamber could could "shift" and that would stop forcing the needle against it's seat. Even the "bounce" I see in some small boat trailers could have the fuel sloshing in the carb so bad it might set up a sort of "pump and siphon" action.

I would first suggest that you disconnect the fuel line when trailering. Doing that along with, possibly, draining the float chamber would likely alleviate the issue. And, it's GOOD for the carb.

Although, if there is enough ground clearance, you may want to see if you can find a way to trailer with the motor in a less tilted position.

Good luck.

Your thermostat may also be stuck open and the engine is not getting up to operating temperature...and/or your spark plugs may also be carboned up and need to be changed. The plugs should be DR5HS.

If you do a lot of trolling, this could certainly be the cause.

Since the thermostat requires a little work to get to and to clean the surfaces to replace the gaskets, check the temperature at the thermostat. Depending on the serial number the thermostat opens either at 140 - 158 deg F or 158 - 176 deg F. If you do not have a temp gun, just putting your hand on it and feeling it....if you can keep your hand on it, the thermostat is probably stuck open, if you have to remove it after a few seconds, it is probably ok.

If this is the case, the fuel gets into the oil since the engine is not burning the fuel efficiently and the left over fuel seeps through the rings and goes into the crankcase...thus increasing your oil level.

Also...if you do a lot of trolling and not much high speed running, you could change your spark plugs to DR4HS (a little hotter plug) for a cleaner burn of the fuel.

Mike

Back