Logo

1966 Evinrude Sportfour- Model 60652 - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Mikka8701

Contributing Member
I have been trying to solve an issue my with 66 evinrude.
Symptoms: When engine is idleing it sounds like the engine wants to die or cut out.

I recently spent a **** load of cash as the mechanic has tried to get the engine to run correctly. He recently rebuilt the carb ( New carb kit ) and fuel pump as well. I have since replaced the points (Gaped 0.20),condenser and rotor. I have also check all the connections to ensure they are clean and tight.

And now the mechanic has informed me that the engine has a weak spark. I recently ordered a new coil thinking this would fix the issue but it didn't if anything the spark was weaker.

I am seriously out of options in thinking what could be the issue in causing a weak spark. I have also noticed the engine starts to play up more so when the engine heats up.

Does anyone has any suggestions of what else could be causing this issue. I am fed up with the amount of time, energy and effort + money I have spent on this thing. Evan the mechanic doesn't know what could be causing this.

Here is a link to a video of the engine running https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_O4DsoWLgY

what does the spark look like on a gap tester?what gap will it jump consistently with a good spark?what does the compression read?

Is your mechanic using the timing marks found on the magneto to set the points accurately ?------Or is he using a feeler gauge method and hoping for the best results ?

Has anybody checked the distributor rotor for arcing through to the shaft inside? Has anybody done a continuity check on the plug wires?

EDIT: I just watched the video. Is that surging what you are describing as cutting out? I'm not sure I'm hearing an ignition miss. It sure is hard to tell with it running in that shallow tub. It would be much deeper in the water under normal operating conditions.

Last edited:
I havnt tried to adjust it in the water in forward fear maybe I will try that this weekend. i replaced the rotar and check it is not shorting out on the shaft upon which it sits

Is your mechanic using the timing marks found on the magneto to set the points accurately ?------Or is he using a feeler gauge method and hoping for the best results ?
I am unsure how he is setting the timing I will try and adjust via the timing mark this weekend

Mikka, perhaps you do not understand but the points must be timed on the magneto for maximum spark strength.--------------------The rotation of the magneto must be timed with the rotation of the crankshaft.---------Make sure your mechanic does these simple steps.

You've been asked about the compression but so far I haven't seen your reply. What are the psi compression of the individual cylinders?

Is the distributor (ignition system) on that engine "Automotive" type ignition whereas the plug wires exit the top sides of the distributor... OR... "Magneto" type ignition where the plug wires exit straight down out of the distributor?

The rotors between the two types are different and do not interchange:
Magneto rotor=580260... Automotive rotor=580338

Set the points on the high lobe so that a .020 gauge will pass thru BUT a .022 will not.

From the tower of the coil (either type), with the spark plugs removed, the spark should jump a 3/8" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! And from the spark plug boot, the gap should be 1/4" with the same type resulting spark.

Note that testing spark by using the spark plugs is a waste of time... the mentioned gap is important!

No spark tester?... Available at most automotive part stores... OR... built the following.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Here's some useful carburetaor info:

(Carburetor Adjustments - Older V/4 Downdraft Carb)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: The early model downdraft carburetors incorporated "Adjustable High Speed Jets". The later model downdraft carburetors used "Fixed High Speed Jets". The high speed jets would be located in back of the two bottom drain screws. Follow the below instructions accordingly.

NOTE: If you do not have adjustable high speed jets, ignore those paragraphs pertaining to same...... BUT do make sure that you manually inspect and clean the two brass fixed high speed jets which would be located in back of the two 7/16" slotted hex head bolts in the bottom front portion of the float chamber.

Lift the center High Speed Control lever and turn it so that the point faces forward, resting on the high ridge. This will disengage the lever control gear from the individual high speed jets (slots). Have the slow speed needle valve knobs installed upside down so that they can be turned without encountering any obstruction.

Gently seat each of the High Speed needle valves, then back each one out one (1) turn. Gently seat each of the Slow Speed needle valves, then back each one out one and one half (1-1/2) turns. NOTE... have the jam nut on the s/speed needles snug so that vibration won't have any effect on them, but loose enough so that you can turn them without a great amount of effort.

(High Speed)
With a reliable person at the wheel, and one kneeling in front of the engine, start the engine (yes, it will run lousy with the above initial needle valve settings), put it into forward gear, and apply full throttle. Start with the High Speed adjustment on the left using a screwdriver that properly fits the slot.

(High Speed Adjustments)
At full throttle, with the proper size screwdriver, slowly start turning one of the H/S needles in segments of 1/8 turn, waiting momentarily for the engine to respond, then repeat turning. You will reach a point where the engine will start to die out. At that point, back that needle valve out approximately 1/4 turn. Now, go to the other High Speed needle valve and repeat that procedure. At some point in that 1/4 turn out, you will find the smoothest high speed setting (you can now lower the throttle rpm). That will have both high speed needle valves set correctly, and at that point you can lift that center lever adjustment of that high ridge, keeping it lifted until the point is facing the engine, then lower it into its proper position. (When you turn that lever now, you're adjusting both High Speed needle valves at the same time.)

(Slow Speed Adjustments)
Now, lowering the rpms of course, take the engine out of gear and set the throttle just to where the engine will stay running. Again, in segments of 1/8 turn, slowly start turning in one of the slow speed needle valves, waiting a few seconds between each turning for the engine to respond. As you turn the s/speed needles in, the rpms will increase..... and as it does, lower the rpms to where the engine will just stay running (otherwise the rpms will climb quite high). You will reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back the needle valve out 1/4 turn. Repeat the process with the remaining slow speed needle. Again, at some point in that 1/4 turn out, you will find the smoothest setting. When finished, tighten the jam nut somewhat, then remove and reinstall the s/speed knobs correctly (right side up).

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Last edited:
Agree with Joe. What is the compression on it ?? You can't tune a motor with poor compression.

Last edited:
I have had it tested and they confirmed that the compression was ok. They tested all four cylinder and they were within %10 of each other

I have had it tested and they confirmed that the compression was ok. They tested all four cylinder and they were within %10 of each other

Yeah, okay.... then I suppose the spark is really great too! If we don't know the exact psi compression readings and the actual condition of the ignition spark (speaking for myself) I've went about as far as I can go except to wish you luck.

Apparently you're not checking the engine out yourself but merely passing along our knowledge to another person who's handling the wrenches.You say "Even the mechanic doesn't know what could be causing this.".... Best to move away from him and look for a real outboard mechanic.

Ok I have not been home to give you the readings....I will post up exact psi readings tomorrow. I will do a spark test on it tomorrow and keep you posted. So I realise I must be specific to resolve the issue

So I realize I must be specific to resolve the issue

That is correct... we need specific knowledge of the engine conditions in order to "hopefully" spot the cause of your problem.

NOTE: While you're at it.... read over reply #10 closely once more as there are questions there that need answering.

Another side question after playing with the timing the engine seems to be running much better however it is operating extremely hot I have had the water pump impeller changed and attempted to circulate water around the block to no avail. Any suggestions what temp it should be and what else I could check

I ran two hoses. The first with a flusher running to the water pump intake and the second bypassing the thermostat running from the water inlet on the power head to the outlet of the other power head. For some reason it always takes a while to start the engine. With the fuelline does it have to be completely pressurised as once I prime the bulb after a few minutes it goes soft and I have a clear fuel filter running through the line and I can see its not completely full

Back