Logo

mechanical fuel pump

redsnapper386

Regular Contributor
hi guys, i recently replaced my fuel pump now this new pump is not pumping fuel.on the install i noticed the push rod landed high up in the housing.what is the correct way to do this.should the cam lobe be at a low position before install.it seems like the push rod should be lower close to the pump arm.thanks in advance for help.this is on a 1987 350 alpha1.

Typically when you replace a mechanical fuel pump the pump push rod wants to slide out of the block.

Not always but more often than not. If your pump push rod did not want to slide out then maybe there is an issue??

Other than that, remove fuel line from pump that goes to the carb and remove the pump but keep the fuel tank supply line connected. Once removed pump the lever by hand and see if you push fuel out of it.

If you get no fuel make sure there is fuel in the supply line right up to the pump.

If no fuel replace the pump.

A friends boat a couple of years ago, they called me over to look at it.......the yellow plastic line was full of fuel.....told them they needed a new pump so they got one. That fall they called again when winterizing the boat as it would not start easy......did what I described and the supply line was full of fuel right up to the pump. The pump however was not pumping.......told them they needed another new fuel pump.......problem solved.

The point is, sometimes they last for years........sometimes they don't......

Back