Logo

Old fuel, new engine

doc_2048

HI I just purchased a 84 StarCraft 17 ft. sled with a new 4.3l v6. Well it was new in 2002 and with no hours on it. Been in a garage since then. I removed 15 gals of old gas. Anything else I should do before I try to start it?
It is a marinepower engine and 2 stage pump.
thanks in advance
Dell

Good that you drained the old fuel!

No hours on it as in "never yet run"?
Carbureted I assume..... and it would be dry?

If so, hopefully the assembly lubrication has protected everything during this rather long lay up period.

Suggestions:

Install new pre-filled fuel filter.

If run prior.... disconnect fuel pump supply line from carburetor.
Purge the fuel pump, and purge the line.
Reconnect and prime carburetor with fresh fuel.
Remove carburetor, carefully invert and empty the contents into clean container.
Reinstall with new base gasket.

Pull ignition distributor and spin oil pump to re-prime oiling system. (this will prime bearing surfaces and cam followers only) The cylinder walls will become oil wet shortly upon firing up!

Oil cylinders via spark plug ports..... but note that gravity will cause pooling at the low ring landing areas.
(not very effective on V engines)
Air blasting oil into the cylinders would be more effective.

I'd not be overly concerned.
Fire it up and watch your instruments closely!

I see in his notes he tested the engine and had Dieseling problems and had it taken car of by his mechanic, so there must be fuel in carb and filter.
Could a person spin the oil pump with plugs out using the starter?
Thanks for the help

Attachments

• DSC00714-1.jpg
    DSC00714-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 49
Could a person spin the oil pump with plugs out using the starter?

Short answer... yes. That would turn the oil pump and would produce some oil pressure!
If you want to pull the spark plugs and spin it over, it certainly wouldn't hurt!
Be sure to disable the ignition system! If not, you may cause damage.

Keep in mind that your crankshaft and camshaft bearings will have an oil film within the area. This oil film does not disapate easily.... even given years of sitting unused. Ask most anyone who has disassembled an old engine if they saw any dry bearing surfaces!

During your start up attempts, the oil pump should prime all necessary areas. The cam followers and internal plungers will be last, and may require more turns.

The cylinder walls below the piston rings rely on splash lubrication, so these areas will not recieve any oil until the rotating assembly begins to spin.

I see no foul no harm in simply trying to start the engine, and maintain 1,200 rpm or so for a while.
You should know immediately if things are OK... or not OK!

I took the boat to the launch and just backed it in on the trailer to see if it ran ok. I rolled it over and got oil pressure up to 35 lbs. when I tried to fire it up I was not getting any fuel. Fuel pump not working. I assume that a electric fuel pump will be heard when you turn the ignition key before you roll it over. I hear nothing, is it possible that a sensor switch controls the pump that may need attention?

Back