Logo

Is it possible to link twin motors for tiller only steering and throttle control?

b521

Regular Contributor
Is it possible to link twin motors for tiller only steering and throttle control?
Say two 10 to 20 horsepower motors.

Last edited:
Do they sell a steering rod for this, with a tiller handle of its own? or is it something that just connects the two motors only to sync them for steering, and I would then have to use one of the tiller handles that is on the motor, s and maybe have one other remote throttle controll ? thx for the input. I only will have room for one boat at the house, and it is hard to find one size fits all. I have a real water worthy 16 ft bare bones alumacraft fishing boat with a 40 hp max sticker. I fish mainly inland PA lakes. But I would like to branch out and do some fishing on lake Erie. I semi broke down on Erie on a cold october day, years ago with a 75 hp that I could only get about 25 percent of the power out of, after I was offshore, and it ran fine for the first two hundred yards. . Then quit, l Then an unpredictabed wind/storm came, pulled cover in 5 foot waves, did timing adjustment as it partially broke , only could get 25 percent throttle. Three and a half hour fight to keep us off the rocks , was trapped in current in front of the breakers ,gain a little ground, and then loose a little ground. I was never so froze and soaked in my life. Never went out on Erie since cept in a charter. So with two motors I figure I could move fast enough to get out a few miles on a calm/warm days, duno maybe 6 miles, keep close eye on the sky and have a half decent chance for safety to go back. . I haven't figured how chancy that would be yet, Erie is a nasty great lake

We broke down in the same conditions and landed on the rocks. .Au-grey Mi.
The kicker we had broke down too.
Get a good anchor and a Sea Tow membership.

The second motor can be hooked with a connecting rod.
The controls can be mounted right next to or in front of the other.

IF??? you don't feel comfortable then you need a bigger/ different boat.

yeah,,, quote from movie jaws. i think were gonna need a bigger boat
"she can't go down with three barrels in er ... not with three she can't" (yeah rightr)

thx

Isn't there some rule of thumb for the minimum safe boat length in re to Lake Erie. Maybe it was just an old wives tale. But they use to say that you have to have a minimum of 16 ft. where as the size of that lake and being shallow puts the waves in a storm a certain distant closer then say other bodies of water and it will immediately swamp a 14 foot and under. (same as saying will a 16 foot cut it in a moderate storm. ?)

Back