Logo

292 , six, fresh water cooling

sea-hawk

I have two 292 six cyl Crusaders that were removed from fishing boat, they were keel cooled, I want to use heat exchangers, can't find any info on how to plumb them in, help

You can buy the shop manual from our host here....it will give you a lot of additional data as well...

I think your biggest challenge will be to find the heat exchangers' mounts.

Basically, the engine cooling loop connects to one half and the raw water goes thru the other half - it's outlet goes into the exhaust.

I have two 292 six cyl Crusaders that were removed from fishing boat, they were keel cooled, I want to use heat exchangers, can't find any info on how to plumb them in, help

Ayuh,.... Years ago, a guy named FreebeTony did exactly what Yer lookin' to do,... probably 10 years ago,....
I worked with 'im, all the way through it,....
I'm bettin', if ya went, 'n did a search in iboats archives, you find that thread,....

Ya gotta find whatever yer gonna use for the heat exchangers, 'n it's plumbed pretty much as makomark has said,....

One "Trick" to the I6s, is usin' a ported aft manifold plate to loop the exhaust manifold,....
(even raw water I6s benefit from this "Trick" )
It's all in Freebetony's thread, with pictures,...

Hey there,
Thanks for the response, I tried to find the info you metioned but , could not find it, any ideas?
Thanks, Chet, Sea-hawk

Hey there,
Thanks for the response, I tried to find the info you metioned but , could not find it, any ideas?
Thanks, Chet, Sea-hawk

Ayuh,... I didn't have any luck findin' that old thread either,...
But,....
I pm'ed freebetony, 'n gave him the link to this thread,....
Hopefully he'll find it fairly soon, 'n stop by to answer some of yer questions,...

Post a few photos of your 292 as is........ post a few photos of your proposed heat exchanger, and post a photo of an automotive thermostat housing for a 292.

I'll gladly draw up a schismatic for you on Wednesday.

The SK 4006 is what's refered to as a "Half" Closed Cooling system, meaning that the cylinder block and cylinder head would be E/G cooled, and that the exhaust manifold would remain seawater cooled.

SK 4006 closed cooling system Chevy Inline 6 Cylinder 250/292
Half-System, Complete (as shown above), Inline 6 Cylinder Chevy MerCruiser & OMC 250/292 CID all years. Half system cools engine block, raw water cools exhaust. Weighs approx 31 pounds.

I read the iBoats threads.
Willy is correct re; the rust scale and issues with the Heat Exchanger......, but this does not necessarily render the engine incapable of being fitted with a Closed Cooling system.
It does mean that at XX hours run time, one would be smart to remove the H/E, dump the contents into a clean white bucket and examine the coolant for rust scale.
Button it back up.... run it for another XX hours, and repeat the test!
Repeat again if need be!

What makes this somewhat risky (when retro-fitting a closed cooling system on a previously raw water cooled engine), will be with any rust scale that may become dislodged and build up around the H/E's tube bundle and then restrict the tube bundle's ability to remove engine heat!

The exterior of the tube bundle is not average Joe accessible!

By being pro-active and flushing and dumping the coolant into a bucket, you'll know more about what's going on inside the engine and the H/E.

Eventually, the rust scale will become manageable... and you may only need to test again in another XX years.

Willy also mentions the A drive seawater pump, of which I agree that the volume is rather limited.
Due to the difference in final drive ratio, this A drive seawater pump is driven at a slower RPM than that of a V-8 A drive pump.
However, BTUs are BTUs. I'd certainly think that this A drive pump was designed to supply enough cooling water to sufficienly remove the engine and exhaust manifold heat from a 250/292.

But I digress here for a minute.
Sea-hawk says this:
I have two 292 six cyl Crusaders that were removed from fishing boat, they were keel cooled,
Being Crusaders and being keel cooled, these are likely not stern drives!
If I/Bs, then there is no A drive seawater pump concerns... Yes/No?

Last edited:
Back