Logo

Planning ahead on 5.7MIE Elbow Replacement

sandkicker

Outstanding Contributor
Been very fortunate, still running the original elbows on my FWC 5.7MIE ( S/N 0W395xxx) since 2006 and all apparently OK even though run in seawater. The only issue, ever (since installation), has been a very slight consistent "use" of antifreeze ( about a pint or two a season). Never was able to get the mechanic who did the conversion to FWC (SeaKamp kit) and engine installation to solve the problem during warranty.

When I winterized the engine this past month, I got down close and personal to the elbows to verify the casting number and noticed that there is only a SS plate and no other gaskets between the elbow and manifold (See pix below). This SS plate, presumably, is the blocking plate. However, I would expect that there would be a regular gasket on both sides of that plate since SS plates don't make good gasket material. This I think may be the long sought after source of the antifreeze use.

My questions... Am I right thinking there should be a gasket on each side of the SS plate. IFSO, which one... there are several ones listed for my engine.View attachment 10403

Your attachment did not work........

First off you need more information.........A partial serial number does no one any good...........an accurate year and serial number is needed.

Between the late '80's and mid 2000's there were many differences and changes in designs........
No knowing exactly what yours is especially seeing it was a add on..........

So

If this pic shows what you have then it is correct. It shows a stainless steel elbow.......I would guess you do not have that. SO if you do not have the stainless steel elbow then the second pic is what you should have. Second pic is from the 1980's into the 90's

The manuals I have on pdf for the mid 90's to early 2000's are not clear from what I can see.......poorly written.

If this is not what you have then refer to my above statement.

Last edited:
The full engine S/N is 0W395664. The number cast into the elbow is 864591. I had the hoses off some years ago and I think it looks like the stainless elbow, i.e. it has the "long" neck, however, I found another pic of the S/S elbow on line, and my elbow mounts with long bolts, not short bolts thru a flange and there are also external right angle raw water path elbows cast to the exhaust elbow that mate to the raw water ports on the manifold... so I'm guessing its cast iron. The gasket setup looks like your first drawing, but I though it should look more like your second drawing, i.e. S/S plate and two gaskets. I remember reading somewhere once that the "seperator gasket" is gasket material. The single thing between my elbow and manifold is most definately stainless not gasket material.

5.7MIE Manifold+Elbow.jpg

Last edited:
Your Motor serial number takes you to this page..

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0W395664

Does your elbow look like the on in this link of the parts diagram?

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0W395664/30570076S/11666_160

This link is to the elbow itself. It says 2004 and up DRY JOINT and is the part number is close but the one in the diagram has a couple of additional numbers but the first 6 are the same....

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER864591T02

Chris

Is this the dry manifold exhaust? I personally have not seen one of these in real life yet......

It was in my manual for a 200X 5.7 motor but I did not post a picture as I was not sure what he had and did not want to confuse the issue.

Two totally different designs. This one in the link above and the two I posted in pictures earlier.

Oh and someone else purchased the fever yesterday morning before I could get it surveyed.............ugggg..........if ya snooze ya loose.....

Last edited:
12581_500_zps94d692ec.gif

I was looking thru the pdf manual that shows that system that boat dr posted and the link I posted to the parts diagram.

The manual says the replacement gasket between the manifold and elbow may not look the same as the original........they don't specify as to what it may look like......

now that thats cleared up, there is no fluid present at the manifold riser joint. the gasket used #13 is blocked at both ends for full system cooling

Last edited:
This is dry Joint. The sealing material is part of the stainless plate and when you disassemble them the plate usually comes out clean with no material attached. When reassembling make sure you install the gasket with the raised center flange in the up position.

Looks like we are going to have to wait for him to reply..........we are now all guessing as to what exactly he has.........

Raw water dumps thru "18", and its a full system, i.e., antifreeze exits manifold via "9"

Gents...... just an observation and a question as per Bob's quote.

A Full Closed Cooling System does not require the manifold-to-elbow seawater "transfer ports" to be open! In fact, these must be blocked!
So..... with Merc's Dry Joint system, what is recommended to block these transfer ports off???

Last edited:
If you look close at post #6 from BT dr.

The gasket used on this dry joint had two "ears" on each end and no slots within the gasket base as the older ones did.

Those ears are either open or closed based on the configuration. open cooling or closed cooling. The ears is where the water flows thru vs passages surrounding the exhaust opening in the manifold.

My assumption is that this eliminates the potential water entering the exhaust if the gasket or the elbow rots away. Now it is two separate chambers, one for water and one for exhaust....

If the gasket is closed on both ends then the barbed fitting is installed in the base of the elbow (item 18) for raw water to enter the elbow and cool the exhaust I believe.

There are several different configurations for this design to accommodate several designs.........go figure.......

Thank you kghost. I did look again at the schematic in post #6 just now.

I do fully understand the porting configuration for all three systems..... raw water cooling system, Half closed cooling system and Full closed cooling system. I just wasn't seeing a gasket (SEQ# 13, 21, 23, 27 or 29) that appeared to be closed off at the seawater transfer ports.
Apparently there is.

The full flow dry joint gasket is for manifold to spacer block and it does not have a raised flange. The restriction gasket has a raised flange as does the FWC block off gasket. The raised flange is there to collect condensation after shut down, it protrudes into the exhaust stream and glows red hot to burn off the collected condensation.

The full flow dry joint gasket is for manifold to spacer block and it does not have a raised flange. The restriction gasket has a raised flange as does the FWC block off gasket. The raised flange is there to collect condensation after shut down, it protrudes into the exhaust stream and glows red hot to burn off the collected condensation.

I saw the dwgs with the raised flanges and wondered what they were for. Neat solution to condensation issues!!! Tks!

Will have this apart after winter cover comes off . Is this gasket ( and the 4 hold down bolts) generally reusable? Just trying to get parts on hand before I take it apart.

New gasket definitely. If the bolts stay together while torquing then you will be ok. Factory bolts will not work with aftermarket elbows. You will need a hacksaw a and a thread chaser.

Bob, when you are ready to do this let me know. If you want Merc parts, I can get them with a nice discount. Since you are close to me.

New gasket definitely. If the bolts stay together while torquing then you will be ok. Factory bolts will not work with aftermarket elbows. You will need a hacksaw a and a thread chaser.

Bob, when you are ready to do this let me know. If you want Merc parts, I can get them with a nice discount. Since you are close to me.

Thanks for the kind offer. Will be talking to you in the spring on this.

Back