Logo

MS3C Trans on TAMD40B slipping

BillG001

Hello. I recently purchased a boat with above engine/transmission @ 950 hrs. The gear has begun slipping at higher RPMs, around 2000 or so. Engine RPMs remain almost constant, no grinding or other scary noises, you just suddenly slow down. The transmission is cool and shifts normally, oil is clean and well within the fill range. I ran the boat 5 hours at 1700 into a 3-4 foot chop getting home after the problem started. If you never went above 1800 RPMs you wouldn't know there was anything wrong.

Yesterday, I shot the coupler with a hand tach. Shaft RPMs climbed normally with the engine, then suddenly dropped by about half when the slipping started. This is definitely the gear and not something like the shaft or prop slipping (as unlikely as those would be). I also unhooked the cable and worked the shift by hand with the same results, so not an adjustment issue.

I read something, someplace, about a clutch in this gear but cannot find reference to one in any of the parts diagrams. Called something else? Nor do I see any filters, screens, etc., which might be clogged and restricting oil flow. I suspect I'm looking at a rebuild but would welcome any alternatives to try before yanking the gear.

Suggestions or similar experience? Thanks.

Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

Couldn't swear what's in it. The previous owner changed the fluids shortly before I bought the boat, but it appears to be regular engine oil. Certainly not ATF.

Okay, I'm looking at the parts page and see that sliding sleeve. Expensive little bugger! I'd assume that this requires breaking the gear down to replace, so I might as well have it rebuilt?

Well, naturally. It's a B.O.A.T.!

Just would have been nice to get one or two trips out of it first.

Thanks again and have a great Christmas.

It's time to pull the trans and de-glaze the shifting cones. No big deal if you are mechanically inclined. It took me one day to pull the trans, one day to pull it apart and de-glaze the shifting cones using lapping compound, and one day to re-install the trans.

Back