Logo

Evinrude 2002 225 Bambouzald. NEED HELP

HainesHunter

I have a Evinrude OMC Bombardier 2002 225DiFicht.

I recently got the motor rebuilt from ground up due to reed plate getting sucked into motor GRRR.

After receiving the Engine back it has got me/mechanic bamboozled. It starts on cold starts every time, once EMM is at operating temp 105-110F, it only starts when it wants to or cools a bit, On average 4th to 11th time cranking Sometimes never. Once Started the engine will run like clockwork, but again switch it off and it won’t start again on first Go. When i take it out for a run for about 15 20 min I go right through rev range and all seems normal (no Codes) But When I turn it off, and try start it, it will show 3 of the 4 lights illuminated and stay on, at this point i don’t even have cranking (Mechanic calls this a hard code ) no codes on PC when checked. But if u leave it for a day the 3 light won’t appear and start first time.

Not including full rebuild we have changed,
starter solenoid, the 2 delay relays just behind that, crank angle sensor, brand new batteries, EMM, Plugs, we have bypassed kill switch,new capacitor, used another throttle control with key module at the outboard to rule out any loom related problems and main power isolator battery switch

Please help as there are no codes on computer and don’t know what to do next.

Kind Regards George Zairis

Bad EMM. Been all through this and argued to death right here. Search. Plenty of info on the "three light salute".

I personally had an engine in the shop doing the exact same thing. User named "aerobat" from Germany posted heavily on this.

Ummmm....just looked up to the top of page to see where I was, I see marineengine.......this was discussed over on Iboats, I think. Search both places.

Bad EMM. Been all through this and argued to death right here. Search. Plenty of info on the "three light salute".

I personally had an engine in the shop doing the exact same thing. User named "aerobat" from Germany posted heavily on this.

Ummmm....just looked up to the top of page to see where I was, I see marineengine.......this was discussed over on Iboats, I think. Search both places.

I have changed EMM and does the same thing. Starts first go then don't want to start. I have checked spark when this happens and it intermittent spark. When there's spark it fires when there's no spark no Go. What would cause the intermittent spark . I will also look up what u have told me. Thx

Where did you get the new EMM from ??

Machanic took one off his 200 Di. He said for what we r trying to distinguish ( start stop start stop idle.) Dont mater bout EMM used. I was about to send EMM to DP I technologies and said u don't have to. He spoke with brp and they verified u can use diff EMM as long as u don't go higher then 1200rpm and obviously needs to be the same block. Neway it did the same thing.

You are describing the "three light salute" when all three lights stay on after the initial power up sequence.
You also say this occurs only after the first start.....or after the EMM has had a chance to heat up.

What you are describing is a bad EMM.

The starting circuit gets it's ground (eventually) through the EMM. Internal circuitry completes the ground so all the solenoids, etc. that eventually
power the starter can work. EMM heats up, you have an intermittent solder joint internal to the EMM, and that joint goes open.
You get the condition you are describing.

When cold, the solder joint is making contact....everything seems to work.

I cannot explain the same results with two different EMMs. Something is very odd.

Look at the EMM temp profiles. How hot has that EMM been?

Read up on what has been posted. Consult with DFI stating the exact symptoms. I bet they know the exact location of the cracked solder joint, and can go straight to it. It is a common problem.

Your mechanic is correct. For debugging purposes, it will not hurt to run a different EMM (mismatched injector parameters) for just a few mins at low speeds.

Bad EMM....that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!:):)

You are describing the "three light salute" when all three lights stay on after the initial power up sequence.
You also say this occurs only after the first start.....or after the EMM has had a chance to heat up.

What you are describing is a bad EMM.

The starting circuit gets it's ground (eventually) through the EMM. Internal circuitry completes the ground so all the solenoids, etc. that eventually
power the starter can work. EMM heats up, you have an intermittent solder joint internal to the EMM, and that joint goes open.
You get the condition you are describing.

When cold, the solder joint is making contact....everything seems to work.

I cannot explain the same results with two different EMMs. Something is very odd.

Look at the EMM temp profiles. How hot has that EMM been?

Read up on what has been posted. Consult with DFI stating the exact symptoms. I bet they know the exact location of the cracked solder joint, and can go straight to it. It is a common problem.

Your mechanic is correct. For debugging purposes, it will not hurt to run a different EMM (mismatched injector parameters) for just a few mins at low speeds.

Bad EMM....that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!:):)

Can U plz tell me why the motor dont go into limp mode or throw any codes while driving it. i done 15miles the other day and nothing went wrong. switched it off got some fishing in for about 2 hours. Started first go....15 miles back to Dock, once got there switch it off tried starting it and 3 red lights no cranking.

All that time no codes. Engine ran like clockwork.

according to your expertise. You got me thinking i have two problems. The "three Light Salute" and starting intermittently when at operating temp and no 3lights. ( maby EMM not getting hot enough for Three light Slute when idling, but hot enough to trigger intermittent start,

But again thats not valid as it does it with another EMM. Never got Three light Salute on other EMM because didnt take it out of dock, just idleing. but still started intermittently once reached 105f and above. It dont get spark when it cranks then gets spark and boom fires up.

Back