Logo

BF90 gearcase length problem!

wijames

I have a 2000 bf90 with a long gear case shaft. Can I purchase a short shaft gear case and remove the spacer? It looks like the spacer is about 5" and getting rid of that would give the proper length for my boat.

I have seen this done on another outboard but it wasn't a honda. Had to cut down the gear shift rod and water pipe as well as completely disassemble and reassemble the gearbox to get the shorter drive shaft installed. The cutting was easy but the rebuilding the gearbox takes special tools and some knowledge. Might it be easier to buy a used lower unit with a short drive shaft and use that? That's what I would do if I had to do it. Keep the other for spares or sell it off to help fund the project.

This can be done. Spacer can be removed but you will have to replace long vertical shaft with short shaft which means having to go into the gear case. Sometimes you can pick up a used gear case with a short shaft for a reasonable price which is a whole lot easier. Water tube may also have to be replaced. I went in opposite direction last summer converting short shaft BF115 to a long shaft (25"). Ended up buyinga spacer off of Ebay, a long shaft gear case in good condition and sold the short shaft gear case. Broke even in cost and it worked like a charm. Going into that gear case to exchange the vertical shaft can open up another whole set of issues.

Last edited:
Back