Logo

M30A2 won't charge

fvee91

As stated above, battery is always going flat and voltage does not increase when engine is running even at full revs. It is a forward control electric start model 2006 2 stroke.
This all started a few weeks ago when the fuse in the engine corroded through and blew. My tacho and volt meter also died. I have replaced both gauges but I am not getting any charge to the battery.

Can I please get some advice on the testing procedure so I can identify the damaged part and replace. I have a multimeter and oscilloscope but don's know what is what inside the motor.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Daniel

Test the rectifier/regulator, as well as the alternator, using your Factory service manual as a guide to values and technique.
Hint: It is a standard bridge rectifier.

Test the rectifier/regulator, as well as the alternator, using your Factory service manual as a guide to values and technique.
Hint: It is a standard bridge rectifier.

I don't have a service manual, can you give me some values of voltages/resistances I should be looking for please?

Keep in mind that your motor is quite obsolete, and dates back to the 1980's; proceed with some caution, as parts are becoming quite scarce.
Start by verifying whether you have a bad diode in the rectifier; those diodes are supposed to conduct in one direction, and block in the other, If you come up with 1 or more cooked diodes, you can replace the rectifier. Any rectifier of appropriate current capacity could be substituted, and work. While at it, see whether you have AC coming out of the alternator coil. If not, you will be looking for a part that is no longer listed in the Tohatsu/Nissan parts catalogs, so YMMV.

Back