Logo

Trying to Figure Out Exactly what Ford Lehman Engine I have?

sv susanna

I have a Ford Lehman 4D220 on my Sailing Vessel Susanna, however I am trying to figure out exactly which motor I have. it does not appear to be a Dover or Dorset version based on the configuration of the Fuel Injector and the raw water pump. My engine did not have an oil cooler until about a year ago and it was retrofitted by the previous boat owner to the intake of the raw water pump. My raw water pump is rotated by a coupling off of the fuel injector pump drive. The Dover and Dorset versions have a separate drive for the raw water pump and fuel injector pump. On the Dover and Dorset versions the raw water is pumped thru a engine oil cooler then to the engine cooler and transmission cooler. I think I have an EBRO 4D220 however I have not been able to find any info on this version. All of the service info I got with my engine and boat is for the Dover / Dorset versions. Any Comments or Info will be appreciated.

Hi, if your boat was built around the 1980's it probably was an ebro made in spain marinized by lehman in new jersey. If it is older than it would be a dagenham ford (england) marinized by lehman most dag. And ebro parts are interchangeable since ebro bought ford's patterns. If you can't find a part let me know i may have it.
Charlie w.

Charlie W, Thank you for the info. The boat was built in the 80's and I am in the process of refitting her. Do you know where I can get technical info on the EBRO version of the engine. I am trying to figure out if I need the oil cooler or not. I suspect the engine cooler is fouled and this may be the reason the oil pressure was dropping. The oil cooler just got added very recently. I am sure I will be replacing the Engine Cooler and the Transmission Cooler. I will also be looking for a spare raw water pump, coupling and impellers.

Back