Logo

Brute 767 foot pedal tension

wargle

I have a brute 67 model 767 12/24v that came on a boat I recently bought. I think it's a 98 model. The foot pedal is very sensitive and easy to press. So easy that when I hit the momentary switch the lower unit spins around due the the motor torque and I constantly over control when trying to steer. I cannot find any place where pedal/cable tension can be adjusted. Is there a way to adjust the tension so the direction can be controlled without fighting the pedal?

i dont think the problem is the foot pedal...i think the problem if as stated is in the gearing ...a foot controlled trolling motor should hold the direction it is in when power is applied..also make sure the polarity on that motor is correct...(hooked up correctly)..
you can take a foot controlled trolling motor and lower it while the boat is on the trailer....grab the foot and turn it...watch the pedal...you will be able to turn it but it wont be easy..Unplug it while doing this....inadvertently touching a switch while hands are near the blade can be disconcerting)

Thanks for the info. I have tried turning the lower unit as described and it is pretty easy. The pedal moves as expected. Guess I need to take the top off the upper unit and see what's going on.

after thinking about it i cant remember turning the hi speed switch or any switch without my foot on the pedal to control direction...yours may be operating normally and you will just have to get used to the way it operates and the limitations..

I hope that's not "just the way it is". Even with my foot on the pedal I can't control the direction when it starts. It seems like there is a "peak" in the pedal travel and when you get to the "peak" the the lower unit will swing wildly past the "peak". Then it's left and right until I get it to go where I want. Only a small change in direction causes over steer unless I really put pressure on the pedal and concentrate.

Just heard from Motor Guide. They said there was no tension adjustment on the 767 and directed me to www.trollperfect.com for an add on tension device. Looks like it might work OK. For $24.95 plus shipping it's worth a shot.

I have the same problem with a Motorguide FW-FB 54. I have to keep constant pressure on the pedal or it spins around uncontrolably at any speed or at no speed. Hate to replace it as I just installed it and it is basically a new motor.

Back