Logo

M40D ticking near flywheel and double sparking

Caribe Tarawa

I have a ticking noise which seems to be under the fly wheel. Typically it starts without the ticking but then it starts after a while. Doesn't appear to be any movement vertically or laterally in the flywheel. Ticking sounds like an earthing. Could not see any stay sparks at night. Here is a link that shows the transition from no ticking to ticking.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVsTESVPGQ8

Also I noticed from a timing light that the top spark plug is sparking at the same time as the middle plug on occasion.

Does any one know what is going on?

Probably a thermally-related ignition problem.
Using your Factory service manual as a guide, check the resistance values of the exciter, pulser, and CD units, as well as the ignition coils, both when cool, and after you hear the arcing. To get accurate results, and avoid damage to the CD, you must use an analog ohm meter with 3v or less battery to the ohm testing section.
If the high tension cables of the coils have deterioration, one cable can cause a nearby cable to crossfire with it. Likewise, if a primary wire to a coil has a weak insulation boot near another wire, it could trigger both coils at the same time.

I was given these resistance values for the CD. If someone could confirm these it would be greatly appreciated.
Abbreviations
B black
Br brown
O orange
W white
L Blue
G green
S sky blue

black lead on the b black wire
b-s 15
b-br 17
b-o 5
b-w/g 16
b-w/r 16
b-w/b 16
b-b/w 4.3
b-b/r 4.3
b-b/g 4.3

black lead on the O orange wire
o-b 100
o-s 150
o-br 5
o-w/g 150
o- w/r 150
o-w/b 150
o-b/w 150
o-b/r 150
o-b/g 150

black to the w/g wire
w/g-b 14
w/g-s 22
w/g-br 82
w/g-o 31
w/g-w/r 46
w/g-w/b 46
w/g-l/w 46
w/g-b/w 28
w/g-b/r 28
w/g-b/g 28

Are your values in ohms, K ohms, etc?
The correct values and technique for testing are in the Factory service manual.
Did you take readings with the CD disconnected?
Did you test the ignition coils, as well as the exciter and pulser?
Does "no reading at all" mean zero ohms, or infinite?
What kind of meter did you use?

Back