Logo

Sound Blanket Insulation

earlbuddy

Regular Contributor
The foam insulation inside my motor cover is missing some pieces and I'd like to replace it. Since it's a 1966 80hp Starflite OEM isn't available. I've been able to remove to old to use for a pattern.
What type of material should I replace it with and where to purchase?
Thanks

The foam (various thickness) would be available at any store that sells sewing material, including Wal*Mart. Ask the seller for advice as to a adhesive as obviously you do not want to use one that would attack foam.

You want something that is gas and oil resistant. If it was my motor I'd just rip it all out and call it good. JMHO.

Originally, back in 1961, the 40hp protype was run without the insulation. It sounded like a sherman tank at full throttle with no sound reduction. The fiberglass has a tendency to amplify the sound (been there, I for one couldn't stand it).

Buy a small piece of that rubberized type foam from Wal*Mart and experiment with it... gas, oil, adhesives, whatever. You have a few Winter months to figure it out.

But Joe, that was a good sound back there. LOL I also liked straight pipes on my cars..............

Last edited:
if i was going to use foam i would make sure its closed cell so it would not absorb oil or gas...

Been considering ripping mine out and spraying with some truck bed liner or undercoating.... 3 or 20 coats ought to do it...;)

I wondered about the spray insulation foam. Problem I see with using it would be getting a consistent thickness.
I think I'll find some rubberized foam. I was able to remove the old pieces for a pattern. Thanks guys!

I ordered some 3/4" closed cell foam. I was able to remove the old mostly in tack so I can use as a pattern. Will use 3M spray adhesive to attach.

Back