Logo

Can a 4HP 4 stroke Mercury engine (current model) be modified as described

Pete rB

Hello there-I am very tempted by a second hand 4HP 4stroke Mercury (very new-current model) that has only been used for a few hours and is available cheaply-about $900 $AUD.

My problem with it is that is is slightly underpowered-I originally wanted a 6HP.
The motor for sale is however almost identical to a 6HP and I understand that the compression ratio is higher and the carburettor jets are larger(in the 6HP version)-am I correct here or is there more to it?
I am reasonably mechanically minded and can do simple modifications such as the above.

It also has the type of propellor suitable for pushing an inflatable-I plan to put the motor on a 24 foot sailboat as an auxilliary engine so I would need to change the prop-are such "pusher" props available for these engines?

I am new to this forum and have been looking at the posts getting info about small 4 strokes-very helpful.
Regards
Peter

Please go buy a 6hp for your horse power need. I'd put 6hp carb on 4hp motor and I don't see my motor gets the hp it should from the higher hp jet. Many times over it flooded!

Back