Logo

Honda 1997 BF90 leaking water into the flywheel area?

2quik6

I have a 1997 Honda BF90 that has been leaking water into the flywheel area. I can pop out the starter and see that it is seeping from a little plate just under the edge of the flywheel.
I had a shop repair it, but it is still leaking. I took it back and the shop found a service bulletin supposedly that calls for a redesigned extension case, p/n 40201-ZW1-020ZA, which they did not know about before.

This part is about $600 so the shop is not willing to cover that.
Can anyone validate this is a problem or know of an easier fix to the issue? Supposedly this new case has a relief passage that relieves the water pressure from behind the leaky plate.
Thank You for any help and assistance!
Rob

Oil leaking into the flywheel area of your Bf90 would most likely be due to a worn crank seal gasket. IMO its a pretty Major issue to get at, but usually an easy fix once the problem is gotten to - it is likely your power head needs to be removed, then the fly wheel needs to be taken off all to to get at this particular seal - once the power head is off its not a hard fix - just remove the old seal and tap in a new one.

The bulletin did correct the problem of water going up the vertical shaft with the updated extension case and stronger seals where the drive shaft goes through the lower case.

That may or may not be the cause of your problem. If the motor is mounted too low, it will tend to drive the water up the extension case more than it should.

Mike

Thanks for the info jake and hondadude.
Are there any links for the original bulletin anywhere? I have not been able to find it.
Thanks

Back