Logo

OMC Lower Shift Cable

fish_fear_me

Hello all! Okay, here's the deal as it relates to the lower shift cable on my 87' Cobra sterndrive. Situation: Cable itself is fine, but the shift cable shield has separated an inch or so back from where the cable enters and is attached to the shift cable guide (back side of the pivot housing). Question: Albeit a tight fit, could water seep thru the casing into the engine compartment? Unfortunately, problem was only caught after new gimbal bearing, U-joint bellows and exhaust boot were installed and unit re-assembled. OUCH! Wondering now, if I'll be needing to turn the heat up in the barn, tear her down and replace the thing. Definitely wasn't looking for another winter project!

You need only remove the drive from the gimbal housing, so you only tear up one gasket to get at the cable. That means the lift rams detach along with the six bolts at the top. Then the drive pulls straight back. Takes about 20 minutes. Then you can undo the cable and pull it out from inside the boat. Thread in the new one, readjust the bell crank, shove the drive back on, nip up the bolts and that's it. Maybe a 2 beer job all in all.

You need only remove the drive from the gimbal housing, so you only tear up one gasket to get at the cable. That means the lift rams detach along with the six bolts at the top. Then the drive pulls straight back. Takes about 20 minutes. Then you can undo the cable and pull it out from inside the boat. Thread in the new one, readjust the bell crank, shove the drive back on, nip up the bolts and that's it. Maybe a 2 beer job all in all.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, am aware of the removal / re-install process, but the question was whether or not water could seep thru the cable casing. Forgot one thing though, probably because it was near 3:30 a.m when I posted, was that it is just the plastic coating over the metal shield that had separated. In this case, was considering that since it was the plastic cable coating that was separated, and the solid cable shield underneath it was still intact I could coat it with a polymer or rubberized coating which would provide a seal over the cable once again. Just a thought.

All you can do is try it but IMHO I'd replace it.

LOL . . . Yeah, figured I'd be working on it once again. I was just trying to convince myself otherwise. Oh well, I'll have something to do while I wait for good ice to form on the lakes. I hear some walleye, yellow perch and crappie calling my name! Thanx

If the plastic has separated then the cable housing is in doubt. The inner wire is encased in a plastiic sleeve and is made of stainless so in all probability it will operate just fine. However, the cable housing could come apart or stretch which will blow the ajdustment.
The shift cable is housed in what amounts to a rubber hose. This ends somewhere above the waterline. So yes, if that hose end gets to be below the water line then water will certainly flow in.

Last edited:
If the plastic has separated then the cable housing is in doubt. The inner wire is encased in a plastiic sleeve and is made of stainless so in all probability it will operate just fine. However, the cable housing could come apart or stretch which will blow the ajdustment.
The shift cable is housed in what amounts to a rubber hose. This ends somewhere above the waterline. So yes, if that hose end gets to be below the water line then water will certainly flow in.

I hear you o2batsea. Thanks for the wake up. So far, there's been no problem with how it operates; still smooth and shifts just fine. But as you mentioned, the chance of the cable coming apart or stretching gives me reason to play it say and not take a chance. Once my new cable assembly comes in, I'll tear it down and make the repair.

Back