Logo

Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke starter bypass

lander12

Contributing Member
Hello to the group and good day. This motor is off my boat and on a stand in my garage. I would like to turn the motor over on the starter but the controls are still on my boat. Is there a wiring sequence for the starter to by-pass the switch on the controls? I think that the starter should engage if certain connections on the starter are grounded out but I did not want to damage something important while attempting this risky exercise although I did this routinely on my old Chev truck. I think that the connections were from the battery cable to the solenoid post. Thanks in advance.

If the main power cables are all connected you just need to put +12V on the solenoid operating terminal. I would remove the spark plugs and keep clear of the plug wires.

Thanks for the post. The next challenge is to locate the solenoid. There are a series of relays mounted close to the starter but do not seem to be connected to it. I'll check the manual.

Follow the large red cable from the starter motor terminal to the solenoid. It will probably be only a few inches long. The solenoid will have at least two large cables on it and one or two small wires. The large cables are the +ve from the battery and the +ve feed to the starter motor (the one you followed to the solenoid). There is likely two small wires on the solenoid. One probably black that is the earth wire, and another one that might be yellow, or purple (or any other colour) that is the +ve from your key switch to operate the solenoid when you turn the key. Disconnect this wire and apply +12v from the battery to this terminal via a separate wire.

Back