Logo

I have a 1996 mariner 8hp need help please

Bundy Bundy

Hello people's just need some help here please.. I have a mariner 1996 8hp long shaft on a 3.7 tinnie. I have a big problem when it's under load it will not rev to top speed. It will not even plane. Sound like it chocking.buy will not turn off But at the same time sound like it want to take off.. There is something maybe restricting it . I have change new carbi kit complete, brand new fuel line connecter .new spark plugs. Got good compression just over 90psi. The problem with it is when I start it in buck at home she sounds great but once it's under load it just revs not to its highest revs and stays on the one speed

I would really appreciate it of someone could please put me in the correct direction thank you people so much

90 psi is not "good" compression- actually that's low for that outboard. 115+ psi would be what I'd be looking for. The most common cause of low compression in a 2 stroke outboard is carbon build-up in the ring grooves, so I would suggest using a GOOD de-carbonizing treatment and see if your compression numbers increase. Use any engine treatment that has a high percentage of PEA (poly ethyl amine), which is a nitrogen based detergent proven to remove carbon deposits. Two treatments that I have had good success with are Gumout Regane, and Chevron Techron concentrate.

90 psi is not "good" compression- actually that's low for that outboard. 115+ psi would be what I'd be looking for. The most common cause of low compression in a 2 stroke outboard is carbon build-up in the ring grooves, so I would suggest using a GOOD de-carbonizing treatment and see if your compression numbers increase. Use any engine treatment that has a high percentage of PEA (poly ethyl amine), which is a nitrogen based detergent proven to remove carbon deposits. Two treatments that I have had good success with are Gumout Regane, and Chevron Techron concentrate.

Ok cheers guys guys thanks I will see how this goes and try it out thanks a lot

Back