Logo

Outdrives not Straigt, Leaks oil

FatlukeNofx

Hello, I have a 1995 Larson Cabrio 310. It has 2 mercruiser 5.7L alpha 1 gen 2 outdrives, however the starboard side outdrive is a little out of alignment, what I mean is, even though the port outdrive is pointed straight back, the starboard will be slightly off, making steering a little diffcult. How difficult is this to fix, and how do I do it.... The boat is currently pulled out of water for the winter.

Also, on the port out drive a small hose disconnected at the end of the season and I didn't notice until the very last week, then when I started the motor, oil started to slowly plume into the water, I checked the outdrive oil reservoir, and sure enough it was low. So I added more to top up and after a few more days it was definitely lower. When the boat was pulled I looked at the outdrive and crazy enough a small clear hose full of green outdrive oil with a strange twist fitting was disconnected... I poked around for a bit and saw where it was to go, then hooked it back up. But a couple weeks later I came back to visit the boat, and the bottom of the outdrive, basically leaving the water intake port, was wet and shiny with oil... So I wonder, was this just left over from the disconnected hose, or is there a deeper problem. I will attach pictures. Thanks for the help guys, this is just so frustrating.

IMG_20141101_130624.jpgIMG_20141101_130632.jpgIMG_20141101_130558.jpg

The small hose is the speedometer connection.

at the bottom near the cone of the lower unit there is a small hole. this hole allows water to go into it and pushes the air/water back at the speedometer it travels up to the fitting in the lower unit and that is where the hose connects. I am not sure if water gets all the way but that is not important. The plastic fittings you refer to are there so before the drive is removed they MUST be disconnected!! If the one of the two small ears are broken off as happens all the time when the drive is removed and the fitting have not been disconnected before removing the drive..........the fitting must be replaced with a new one and they are sold in pairs (male/female).
that is all that is about.

As far a your "leak" you must remove the drive, drain the gear oil and pressure check the drive to ~ 15 psi for at least 2 minutes and listen carefully for air leaks. Also watch the pressure gage and see if the pressure does in fact get lower.

As far as the two drive not facing straight...........Not sure on that one...Many dual drives have a connection between the two to keep them straight and in sync. from what I have seen. the only reason I would suggest is the one that is not straight is loose somewhere causing the misalignment. Maybe slop at the gimbal ring or at the steering linkage at the transom mount inside the boat.

Last edited:
Need better pics of the drive but in most cases the drives are "toe`d in" a bit
Correct!
The "toe in" is intended to direct the prop trust (from both drives) to an eventual line of intersection.

Normally toe in would be difficult to detect with the n a k e d eye. Perhaps yours is excessive.
Merc's work shop manual should offer specs on this.

Ok, well thanks guys... Im gonna post better pics in a few days, cause this isnt toe'd in... while the one outdrive will be straight, the starboard side point out to the right. This is very evident when cruising because you can see all the bubbles and wake, one is staright, the other is cleary crooked. Also the steering wheel is cranked completely sideways to go forward... Not correct.

My second and most important concern is the leaking outdrive oil, this is probably somthing that no one can explain until me or a mechanic (probably a mechanic) will pull the outdrive and get inside to see... I was hoping this wouldnt be the case.

Anyways, thanks for the help this is a great forum and a great community ;)

UntitledjpgT_zps7f007fb8.jpg

Back