Logo

140 mercruiser winterize without starting the motor

Monsterrodder

Does anyone know if there is a way to winterize the motor without starting it up? My motor was running in the summer there is a short somewhere in the starter circuit due to wet wires after I de- greased the engine, it ran fine until the starter relay or something failed and now winter is upon us and I don't have a way to start the thing with the cold weather. Is there a method of removing the thermostat and dumping antifreeze into the engine and follow through to the impeller making it safe for the winter months without freezing inside and blowing out a freeze plug or 2? Any input would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance seeing that I am new to this forum.

Dont worry about loading the engine with antifreeze. Remove the pipe plugs/drain taps from the block, exhaust manifold, and oil cooler. Use a piece of stiff wire and make sure there are no obstructions in the drains. Remove the water inlet hose from the oil cooler, and remove the U-shaped hose from the thermostat housing/circ pump. Pull the spark plugs and spray some fogging oil into each bore, and replace the spark plugs.

Does anyone know if there is a way to winterize the motor without starting it up? My motor was running in the summer there is a short somewhere in the starter circuit due to wet wires after I de- greased the engine, it ran fine until the starter relay or something failed and now winter is upon us and I don't have a way to start the thing with the cold weather. Is there a method of removing the thermostat and dumping antifreeze into the engine and follow through to the impeller making it safe for the winter months without freezing inside and blowing out a freeze plug or 2? Any input would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance seeing that I am new to this forum.

Ayuh,.... No problem,.... No antifreeze necessary, Air don't freeze,.....

On the portside of yer motor, down low on the block is a 1/4" pipe plug or block drain, remove it, 'n poke the hole with a screw or nail to dislodge any crud, allowin' the block to drain,....
Just above that, upside-down on the exhaust manifold is another drain plug, remove it, 'n prod it's hole to drain the manifold,....
If it's an older 140hp, with a squarish riser, it'll have a drain plug at it's aft lower corner, pull it, 'n prod it,....
Next, Pull the Big hose off the circulatin' water pump,....
Finally, lower the drive to drain it,.....

If someone installed draincocks that do not have a removable stop, remove the entire fitting and toss it in the recycle bin, and install true Marine style draincocks with a removable stop.

As suggested, probe each drain port to ensure complete draining.

By not repairing the starter motor now, you'll be forgoing:

end of season oil change
fuel stabilization that reaches the carburetor
cylinder fogging

Back