Logo

1959 evinrude 10 hp

The oil on the water is probably coming from the oil/gas mix ratio your using for this motor through the exhaust, its not uncommon, most 2 strokes will oil up a little in the water barrel, what gas/oil ratio are you using? Is your water pump impeller old? If your not sure, replace it asap. Some of the pre/1960 motors had no pee hole so you need to make sure your water pump impeller is good and pumping water. you could probably tell by just feeling the engine block when it is running, if it gets super hot its probably not pumping water good. I had to pull the power head on one of my 50's OMC motors once to change the impeller, it was just designed like that. If you ask questions on this site you should probably list your engines model number also. Good Luck with it.

Although the marjority of the exiting water is blown out the exhaust port just above the propeller, the telltale water outlet that keeps you informed is the exhaust relief hole at the rear portion and halfway down the long exhaust housing between the powerhead and the lower unit. Water should shoot out that hole along with the exhaust like it was being blown out the garden hose.

If the water outlet force is weak or non existent... install a complete water pump assy. Installing only a new impeller into a pitted housing is a waste of time and money.

thanks for all the great replies. I already have a new impeller and housing ordered from Marine Engine and have discovered that the unit where the prop is located has milky white oil in it. I'm guessing that I need a new seal at the prop and change the foot lube.

Not necessarily. That milky stuff in the exhaust is an emulsion of spent cooling water and the oil that you put in the gas. Under certain conditions, it turns white & foamy. Otherwise, it just goes out into the barrel-----as you were asking about. Absolutely normal.

Checking the oil in the gearcase should be done anyway but that's not what you are looking at.

You are absolutely right. I got my pump kit in this afternoon and tore into it. The whole inside of the exhaust tube, the pump housing, and lower unit was filled with the milky mess. While the impeller looked good the pump housing was scored a lot and the seal between the lower unit and exhaust tube looks like a ten day old doughnut, it's all shriveled and looks like it's gonna fall apart. Thanks everyone for the great advice. You all put me on the right track

Back