Logo

Life Expectancy of mercury dry joint exhaust

Big Ben

Anyone have first hand experience with life expectancy of dry joint exhaust. The reason I ask is I just bought my first boat and it spent 7 years in salt water. I pulled the riser elbows (manifolds and spacer blocks coolant cooled) to inspect and see some corrosion but nothing major but you can't see to much inside.

What I don't get is this system is not new but has been out since 2002 and still its hard to find real world reviews ! I know there are so many variables with each boat/boater being different but when I google and google more about failures or when to replace there is basically nothing. Maybe this is good sign for the new dry joint system. There are more guys out there like me asking for how long people get out of them instead of stories good or bad. I know the old wet joint was 5-7 years max but if mercury developed this new better system (thats costs a lot more for the parts) why are we still doing 5 years replacement :confused:

It seems most failures were at the elbow to gasket area of the old system and that is impossible with the new dry joint. But how often do they corrode right through the metal inside the elbow ? And do I want to be the ginnie pig running the new system longer !

Thanks
Dave

Dave, as you may know, Merc designed the Dry Joint system as a solution to problematic deterioration of the rather thin walls between the main exhaust chamber and the seawater transfer ports.
They appear to be a heavier casting as well.

I responded to your thread in the BOC Tech forum. I cannot really add anything here, other to once again suggest that you have them Hot Tanked and Pressure Tested.
The dressing up of the mating surfaces is very simple and very quick to have done!

Dave, it can be a tough call to make.
As you know, a bad or leaking Exhaust Manifold or Elbow can cause engine damage.
Do I clean them up, pressure test and reuse if they pass, and save myself $800 (minus testing $$)?
Or do I not risk using them, spend the $800 and replace them now?

Last edited:
The Elbows and the manifolds. I know that you have fresh water cooled Manifolds according to your original post. Replace the elbows if you are worried about them.

Rick, I would never suggest to step backwards in technology.

Back