Logo

chrysler diesel

circle hook

Regular Contributor
Hello I was told that Chrysler made a diesel engine that would bolt right up to my 1972 318 small block bell housing does anyone know what size & year these were made any info would be a great help. Thanks bob

Jeff have you ever heard of Hino another guy at our marina said all the older bayliners with diesels had them in it and that they were built for Chrysler and will bolt right up to my bell housings. I tried to look but could not find anything that didn't use gas. what do you think, I am looking for something with out too much problem to switch from gas to diesel in my boat. and I have 318"s right now,

Than Bob

Nissan built diesel's for Chrysler. Of the 4 models offered 2 specifically mounted to the 300
stern drive in the late '70's the CM6-55NA 105hp & CM6-33 130hp so they maybe your best bet.

2 other models listed were the CM6-55TI turbo & CM4-33. All of them were originally
used in inboards only and are inline. I've seen them on ebay from time to time

Jack

Last edited:
Your boat was offered with twin 318's single 440 or twin Perkins diesel. As I understand it, there was a different adapter plate used. The HINO powered bay liners are far and few. There is not any real bolt in swap without serious modification and lots of money. Your best bet is to look for a set of diesels from a burned or crashed boat not sunk. I really like the Yanmar 4cyl lha series.

jeff do you have any idea on what boat manufacture use the Chrysler diesel cm6-55, and what years, I would like to find a older boat with running engines and buy them, plus do you have any idea what transmissions were used, will my paragons with "V" drives still work or need to be replaced also. THANKS BOB

I'm afraid not. Since Chrysler used FORD 460 engines with Chrysler names on them, anything is possible.

Jeff

I have just been unpacking boxes that have been sitting in my shed since we moved house 2 years ago, and came across the original 1972 vintage brochures on the available Chrysler marine diesel engines of that era.
They made 4 diesel engines. Two based on Nissan motors M4-33 and M6-33 and two based on Mitsubishi motors CM6-55NA and CM6-55TI II. As far as I know these are the only diesel motors used by Chrysler.
M4-33 - 70HP @ 4000RPM and 94ft/lb @ 2000rpm.
M6-33 - 105HP @ 4000rpm and 137.5ft/lbs @ 2000rpm.
These two were available both as inboard and I/O models.
CM6-55NA - 130HP @ 3150rpm.
CM6-55TI II - 200HP @ 3150rpm.
No torque figures given for either of these motors.
These were available with a bobtail or with marine gearboxes.
Cheers,
Mike

matt any idea of what boat manufacturer & year might of used these CM6-55N/A engines. Thanks Bob & happy holiday season & ne year to all.

Bob, uniflite was a manufacturer, they used them in the 28 and 31ft models in the early 70's. I have a buddy at my marina that has one in a CHB trawler, I believe it is also a 70's model.

matt

This will make you cry.
A couple of years ago when I moved house, I sold two CM6-55TI engines for scrap.
I bought them 20 years ago for a project, which never eventuated.

oh no!!!! but it happens do you know if they were both the same rotation, and what transmissions were you planning to use. I have (2) RV 20 D walter "V" drives, & (2) ASI 71 C, borg warner velvet transmissions. they come off counter rotating gas engines. but I was told they will work on the CM6-55 Chrysler diesels.

I was planning to rebuild one good one and run it through a Stern Powr out drive, which is brand new and still in the original boxes.
As far as I know both engines were clockwise rotation. Looking at the brochure, you have to use a counter rotating gearbox to get a counter rotating prop.
I don't think you can change the rotation of the Velvet drives.

Back