Logo

Hoping for a little help on a Crusader 454XL

Ply

Contributing Member
Hello all,

Long time lurker, recently joined... Love the site.

Here goes, as a life long outboard guy I need some advice regarding a 94 Crusader 454XL... I believe it's a '94 from serial number being in the 95200 area...

My question is how can I tell from pictures only if it is a Carb engine or TBI?? It has the square XL Plastic cover (not XLi) on top of the manifold but i'm not sure if it has a carb under it or did they use that style "arrestor" on fuel injected motors also???

Broker said it's fuel injected but i'm not convinced because it does not say XLi on that cover??

Any help in being able to differentiate the 2 from pictures only would be appreciated...

I attached a photo just in case, Jeff.....

Would Carb'd motors have ONLY the round, metal flame arrestor without the plastic shroud around them?

Would Carb'd motors have ONLY the round, metal flame arrestor without the plastic shroud around them?

During this year model, I think that you'll see the plastic cover being used over a carburetor or over a TBI unit.
Either will have a flame arrestor directly over the carb/tbi!

If this boat is for sale and if you are a potential buyer, perhaps ask the seller to elaborate and/or supply more pictures.

Exactly Ricardo. We have inquired and were told it was Injected but I was always under the impression those shrouds would say XLi if it were injected. Carb'd would only say XL. Fairly sure those plastic shrouds are original as only 600 hours on motors and they match.

I'm planning a trip out there so I'll obviously know upon looking at it but just getting some prior intel.

So question would be this: Did Crusader print XLi on the port injected motor shrouds and XL on the TBI?? Or was there some inconsistency here and perhaps a TBI motor could get one of these XL shrouds??

Thanks again guys!!

Yes..... it's possible that the original plastic cover was broken or lost, and was then replaced with an LX cover.

I'm not sure if MPI was being offered in 1994!
The MPI would look considerably different.
If not, I suppose that it could be carbureted or TBI.

BINGO. I think that is my answer. Serial # reveals Carb's... Shocking, dealer either lied, or knows nothing... Either way i'm perfectly FINE with a Carb'd motor of that vintage...It was just principle.

THANK YOU!!!

You should be able to verify the "model info" via the serial number decal/plate....XLs vs XLi is as you suspect.

FWIW, the TBI units are obsolete and getting key new parts is virtually impossible...that said, many outfits can rebuild them if needed.

They might be considered obsolete, but that wouldn't deter me from owning/purchasing an older Crusader XL that has been cared for. The one in question has approximately 700 hours and logs/maintenance records from day one as they were the original, and very caring owners.
Amazing to see the meticulous logs that actually document hours in conjunction with maintenance. Original owners well into their 70's and downsizing.

Hello all,

Long time lurker, recently joined... Love the site.

Here goes, as a life long outboard guy I need some advice regarding a 94 Crusader 454XL... I believe it's a '94 from serial number being in the 95200 area...

My question is how can I tell from pictures only if it is a Carb engine or TBI?? It has the square XL Plastic cover (not XLi) on top of the manifold but i'm not sure if it has a carb under it or did they use that style "arrestor" on fuel injected motors also???

Broker said it's fuel injected but i'm not convinced because it does not say XLi on that cover??

Any help in being able to differentiate the 2 from pictures only would be appreciated...
Lx has a throttle body injector, Lxi has multi- point injectors take the cover off and lift the flame arrestor to see the fuel delivery mechanism. If it has o lot of(or any) wires on the delivery device it’s a throttle body injection system, sometimes called an “electric carb”!

New to the forum gents , have a 1997 454 gas with low hour , my starboard Boggs down at exactly 1900 rpm when under load . I’ve done the basics swap and change and clean fuel related components, but the electrical issues I have studied in the background watching the threads . Anyone here willing to give a little advice to a rookie ??

As a general guide, posting to the end of an eight year old thread isn't the best tack to take.

More details on your engine are needed to clarify which version you have...things changed rapidly in the mid-to-late 1990's...
" ... a 1997 454 gas with low hour..." doesn't resolve the ambiguities discussed above

New to the forum gents , have a 1997 454 gas with low hour , my starboard Boggs down at exactly 1900 rpm when under load . I’ve done the basics swap and change and clean fuel related components, but the electrical issues I have studied in the background watching the threads . Anyone here willing to give a little advice to a rookie ??
Sounds like a carb problem or fuel delivery.
Change the fuel filter! Check the timing, spark plugs, and the other usual suspects.

Mark is correct though I'm still hanging around :) and Mark was always very helpful!!!

Having said that, gosh pretty vague description of your issue and can really only be a few things....

Have you resolved it?? Any new intel to share??

I'm chasing the same damn problem. Runs perfect right up to 1,900, then shits the bed. There is a safety mechanism that I am told limits the fuel pump (some say that it limits the injector impedance) that comes on right at 2k. I believe that's my/our issue, but I'm not sure how to bypass it.

I don't know if its a knock sensor, or the oil pressure sensor causing the theorized "safe mode" (fwiw, my engine is throwing no codes a all, perfect compression, and seems to be getting proper fuel psi)...

I bought MEFI Burn, which is supposed to be able to shut off "safe mode" and/or its related counter-measures.

I plan on trying to run a hot directly to the fuel pump first, and seeing what that does. If that doesn't correct the issue, looking at the tune on MEFI Burn.

Back