Logo

Oil Cooler before or after Oil Filter

nimbus

I am about to retrofit an oil cooler to my 2006 V8 GXI-F
Is there any preference to which side of the oil filter the cooler should be installed?

Oil can become over-cooled via a shell and tube style heat exchanger....., so you may want to look at the Derale Accessories D15702 or the Hayden Thermostatic Sandwich Oil Filter Adapters 205.
These basically perform the same task by sensing oil temperature and by then proportioning the amount of oil being sent to the heat exchanger.

If you go this route, your question is answered.
If you do not go this route, I'd send the oil to the heat exchanger first, then on to the filter.

These are automotive parts, but should also work for Marine.
Either should be capable of installing between your remote oil filter and remoter oil filter base adapter.

Hayden write up:
Hayden Automotive oil filter adapters are designed to fit between the filter and the engine block. When the oil temperature reaches 160 degrees, the Hayden oil filter adapters start to release oil to the engine oil cooler, and they release all oil to the cooler when the temperature reaches 180 degrees or higher. Hayden manufactures these engine oil adapters from quality materials to ensure performance and durability.

hda-205_w_ml.jpg

Derale write up:

• Provides external lines for simple installation of oil cooler without having to reposition oil filter
  • Allows oil cooler than 180 degrees to bypass heat exchanger, ensuring quicker engine warm-up
  • Fits most vehicles with spin-on oil filters
  • Includes brass fittings, sleeve nuts and O-ring
  • Made in USA

D15702_1000.jpg

Your oil cooler will be a tube and shell style, similar to this oil Heat Exchanger.
With liquid as the media, these are much more effective at heat removal than an automotive oil cooler, of which is why I mentioned "Over-Cooling".

I'd not use the barbed fittings.
(example only)

3851921-pic1--web.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Rick,
Thanks for the advice, overcooling did occur to me but I did not think it would be too much of a problem once the engine had got up to running temp.
Where I am we have to run at "No-Wash" speed for about a mile before getting into unrestricted waters which gives the engine time to warm up.
I will look at fitting a temp. sender to the outlet and monitor the oil temp.
What are the coloured adapters for on the Derale unit?? are they different threads for the pressure fittings?

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the advice, overcooling did occur to me but I did not think it would be too much of a problem once the engine had got up to running temp.
Where I am we have to run at "No-Wash" speed for about a mile before getting into unrestricted waters which gives the engine time to warm up.
I will look at fitting a temp. sender to the outlet and monitor the oil temp.
What are the coloured adapters for on the Derale unit?? are they different threads for the pressure fittings?
Perhaps it's not an issue for you..... but this was my point:
Sea water, river water or lake water via a shell and tube type heat exchanger, has the ability to remove great amounts of heat from our engine oil ......... and sometimes TOO MUCH heat removal.
The temp controlled Hayden or Derale units take care of this for us by sending only that oil to the H/E that needs to be cooled.
If little to no cooling is required, a certain amount of the engine oil simply by-passes the heat exchanger, is then filtered and makes it's way back to the oil galleys.

I believe that the color coded fittings are for different engine filter base threads.

Last edited:
hi Rick,
The oil temp. controllers seem to be a sensible thing to fit into the oil cooling system so I am organising to get one.
and they are not expensive.

Buying an oil temp. control unit to fit onto the filter unit, is easy if you live in the US but neither of the suppliers reccomended by Rick
seem to be geared up for int. sales; as far as I can tell from here. I am still waiting for them to contact me, they surely must sell into the Australian market.
Also they all provide only "barb" type fittings for the oil hoses.
THIs might be OK for the low pressure return to the sump. But in most cases the actual oil pressure to the filter is going to exceed 40-60 PSI
Surely a barb fitting even with two hose clamps is not going to last long before we have hot oil all over the engine either in the boat or motor vehicles where they are mostly used.They should IMO be propper swaged hose fittings designed for hydraulic applications.

1... Buying an oil temp. control unit to fit onto the filter unit, is easy if you live in the US but neither of the suppliers reccomended by Rick
seem to be geared up for int. sales; as far as I can tell from here. I am still waiting for them to contact me, they surely must sell into the Australian market.

2... Also they all provide only "barb" type fittings for the oil hoses.
THIs might be OK for the low pressure return to the sump. But in most cases the actual oil pressure to the filter is going to exceed 40-60 PSI

3... Surely a barb fitting even with two hose clamps is not going to last long before we have hot oil all over the engine either in the boat or motor vehicles where they are mostly used.They should IMO be propper swaged hose fittings designed for hydraulic applications.

1... Do you know anyone form
the USA who would ship to you?

2... There is NO Low Oil Pressure return hose to the sump.
All four hoses will be under engine oil pressure!

1 hose for remote filter oil supply from the Volvo Penta engine block adapter.
1 hose for oil return from the remote filter back to Volvo Penta engine block adapter.
2 hoses to/from the Hayden or Derale unit to oil cooler and back.

3.... If you have access to a hydraulic pump and hose company, or a pneumatic hose company....., they should be able to install crimp sleeves onto your barbed fittings.

Last edited:
Hi Rick,
I have a son-in-law in Cal. who could probably help.
late yesterday I got an em from the reps for Hayden in OZ but their phone is always on message bank.
but nothing from Derale!!!
i will use ENZED Hydraulics here to make up the two extra hoses.

Back