Logo

Bearing

solarman

I'm looking for a OMC 378264 lower pinion bearing. The bearing is stamped Torrington AG28584. Found one on the internet over $100. Does anyone know of a cross reference that maybe less expensive?

Electric Shift. I took apart and the rollers fell out, now I can't find all of them. I noticed on a picture of one I found on the internet mine is missing the inside piece that the shaft goes through. See attached pictures. What is the piece missing on mine made of?
OMC Bearing.jpgOMC Bearing2.jpg

Last edited:
They all fall apart.----------Look for the missing rollers.--------The piece shown is there so the new bearing does not fall apart.------You throw that part away after assembly.

You're not kidding on the $$$$$ Boobie! I've looked all over the bench and floor and not there. Could they have fallen down into the gear case when I removed it?

Obviously that is one place you should look or risk the lower unit going crunch when you put it in gear.----------I normally lift the bottom portion off so that these rollers do not fall in there.-------You have to find those rollers !!

I can hear them inside when I move the gear case around, so they must have fallen in when I took it apart. Can't get them to come back out. I tried to remove the 4 screws from the gear case head but can't get them to turn. I don't want to torque to hard and strip them. Any tricks to getting them out?

Update. Was able to break the screws loose with some heat and impact screwdriver as kimcrb1 described. Went to Harbor Freight and purchased their Impact Screwdriver Set #37530. Heated the gear case just below the screws hit once and they turned. Was able to remove the gear case head assembly and rear coil and found the 4 missing rollers. Since apart I'll replace the oil retainer and o ring. Thanks for all your input.
image_17210.jpg

The impact driver I was talking about was the one you purchased. You'll find it real handy when working on these outboards.

Back