Logo

1984 60hp Johnson will not stop when key turned off.

lmbr

My 1984 60hp Johnson runs great, but when I turn the key off it continues to run. I have to pull both spark plug wires off (It will still run on 1 wire) or disconnect the fuel line and let it run out of gas. If I pull the emergency stop switch, it still runs. Checked the wiring on the key switch. all OK. The red/black wire has 12 V when key is on, 0 V when it is off. I believe this is what is supposed to shut the motor off. Never heard of a motor that wont quit.:confused:

look under the cowl and find your power pack....there should be a yellow/black wire with an inline disconnect..this wire goes to your controls and should go to ground to kill the engine...it should be floating with the key on...either turning the keyoff or pulling the lanyard on the emergency kill should ground it..this inline disconnect is in there for diagnostic purposes...your motor is operating as if it is disconnected...

Its the same wiring as far as the stop circuit is concerned on all evinrude and johnsons of that vintage so the number of cylinders don't matter...
Caution!!!!!if you decide the power pack is bad put a meter on the kill wire and make sure you have no voltage at any time...any voltage,even millivolts,will destroy the new power pack...the wire should go to floating(no ground and no voltage) to ground when the key is turn off if the lanyard is pulled..

(Ignition Kill Circuit)
(J. Reeves)

A Black wire (ground) should lead from the powerhead to the powerpack. There will also be a Black/Yellow wire leading from the powerpack to a raised "M" terminal of the ignition switch. To complete the circuit, there will be a Black wire from the other "M" terminal of the ignition switch to ground.

When the key is in the OFF position = The two "M" terminals are connected,. effectively shorting/killing the ignition.

When the key in ON position = The two "M" terminals are not connected and the ignition is engaged.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

.(the wire should go to floating(no ground and no voltage)with the key turned on and to ground when the key is turned off or if the lanyard is pulled.)
thats the way my last sentence should have read....

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I have been extremely busy lately and haven't been able to work on it. Over the next week or so I plan to get it going. I am replacing the TNT motor, rewiring the electrical system and solving this problem so I will be busy.

.(the wire should go to floating(no ground and no voltage)with the key turned on and to ground when the key is turned off or if the lanyard is pulled.)
thats the way my last sentence should have read....

By The Way - where did you get the color wiring diagram that shows such detail? I'd sure like to find the whole engine wiring diagram.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and information on this problem. I finally had enough time to stick with it long enough to fix it. I tried all the suggestions, traced and retraced wiring, checked the ignition wiring to no avail. Finally I got a bottle of alcohol and some q-tips, opened the red plug and cleaned the female contacts really good and yea, problem fixed. I had replaced the wiring harness for the male side of the plug last fall but didn't think about cleaning the female contacts when I did that. Sure could have saved a lot of effort and expense. (I replaced the Power Pack in this process.) But I also learned a lot more about this engine during this so that was good.
Thanks again.;)

so you have a spare power pack....its a handy thing to have and a lot of us have had a spare for the same reason...bought it when we should not have...

so you have a spare power pack....its a handy thing to have and a lot of us have had a spare for the same reason...bought it when we should not have...

Yes I do and I am definitely not complaining. I have always been the type that wants to know "how" so this was good experience.

My 1984 60hp Johnson runs great, but when I turn the key off it continues to run. I have to pull both spark plug wires off (It will still run on 1 wire) or disconnect the fuel line and let it run out of gas. If I pull the emergency stop switch, it still runs. Checked the wiring on the key switch. all OK. The red/black wire has 12 V when key is on, 0 V when it is off. I believe this is what is supposed to shut the motor off. Never heard of a motor that wont quit.:confused:

You need to replace your powerpack.

Back