Logo

Looking to buy restored engine... But where? Help.

Andershjorth

Hi all.
i am restauring a boat (arcangeli super jolly v8) but have no engine for the project. I want to find the right engine and my internet research tells me the engine originally was a ford interceptor with about 180bhp.... Not much more.

so now I am looking for an engine like that. Preferably restore by someone reliable or I decent working condition so I can perform the restoration myself. Does anyone know where I can find such an engine ? And can anyone recommend a engine guy which could rebuild such and engine for my project?

thanks
Anders H

I'm not a Ford authority by any means, but I believe that Ford categorized their engines in a series.
For examples, the Ford 289, 302 and 351 cu in Windsors and 302, 351 and 400 cu in Cleavelands were a 335 series engine....... the 385 series included the 429 and 460.

I think ink that you'll need to identify the series that was previously there if you are wanting an original restoration!

I'm not a Ford authority by any means, but I believe that Ford categorized their engines in a series.
For examples, the Ford 289, 302 and 351 cu in Windsors and 302, 351 and 400 cu in Cleavelands were a 335 series engine....... the 385 series included the 429 and 460.

I think ink that you'll need to identify the series that was previously there if you are wanting an original restoration!

As far as I can tell it's the early y-block I am looking for.
I believe it's called 256, 272, 292 or 312 Dearborn marine interceptor / ford interceptor.
Does that narrow down who I should contact about this restoration/buying an engine?

As far as I can tell it's the early y-block I am looking for.
I believe it's called 256, 272, 292 or 312 Dearborn marine interceptor / ford interceptor.
Does that narrow down who I should contact about this restoration/buying an engine?
Well, again I'm not up to speed on the Fords, let alone the older Fords.

Perhaps join a Ford Auto enthusiast forum that would discuss the older Ford engines, and ask your questions there.
After all, these older engines that ended up in Marine applications came from the auto world.

These motors were put in Century boats during the 50's into the early 60s when they were replaced by the Windsor motors. They are hard to find in a reverse rotation (from auto application) configuration. I would watch for a marine camshaft and for y block marine motors. You can use auto parts, block, etc. The real speciality part is the cam.

Back