Logo

Distributor Advance Xurve

jeffnick

Regular Contributor
Bought a new EST distributor. Just checked the timing - it's either at base or fully advanced. Is the timing supposed to slide up with the RPM's? If not what kind of trouble am I in?

EST = electronic spark timing!
The distributor triggering unit runs 1:2 with the crankshaft, and with no mechanical advancing mechanism.
All progressive advance is achieved via electronic circuitry.

BASE advance is set while in BASE mode! Once set, return to run mode.

Since we cannot create a spark event any sooner than it's initiated, the distributor housing is positioned so that it gives full advance to the engine.
The ignition module then delays the spark event, and provides the progressive advance electronically by varying the delay progressively as per rpm.

Throw your timing light on number one cylinder, and watch to see if it progressively advances past BASE while you increase engine speed.

Last edited:
I can't read the tach while using the timing light, but at a certain rpm the timing jumps from base to full advance - there's nothing in-between.
Yes, I used the shunt to set the base timing.

Once above BASE rpm, you should be seeing a progressive increase in the spark advance (or spark lead) as rpm increase.
If not, something is wrong.

Kim, just a thought here........ and baring that the distributor is sending rpm data to the module.

Since the EST distributor has no choice but to sync the triggering event the same for each and every spark event, I would say that it's more likely to be a faulty module!
Yes/No?

Back