Logo

'65 Johnson 9.5 Seahorse water pipe delima

jpatterson

Hi guys,
pulled the lower unit off my Seahorse this afternoon, for the umpteenth time, and the water pipe came away from the power head. How do i get it back where it belongs?

Using a bright focused beam flashlight, although difficult, it is possible to see the hole that the copper water tube slides into. It will be on the port side, about a inch or two from the forward portion of the engine.

With a great amount of patience, sometimes it is possible to guide the tube back where it belongs.

The alternative is to remove the starboard shell engine cover, then to remove the engine from the port shell engine cover, followed by removing the powerhead. A hellava job!

The problem is caused by the retaining snap ring failing due to age which in turn allows the tube to slide down and away.

Using a bright focused beam flashlight, although difficult, it is possible to see the hole that the copper water tube slides into. It will be on the port side, about a inch or two from the forward portion of the engine.

With a great amount of patience, sometimes it is possible to guide the tube back where it belongs.

The alternative is to remove the starboard shell engine cover, then to remove the engine from the port shell engine cover, followed by removing the powerhead. A hellava job!

The problem is caused by the retaining snap ring failing due to age which in turn allows the tube to slide down and away.
Joe,
thanks for the update. I think I'll try the "poke and hope" approach. I am NOT up to or mechanically capable of tearing down that powerhead. I've got plenty of time.

Good luck. You will need it to get that thing back in without pulling the powerhead. It goes through the shift rod boot flange about half way up.

Joe, thanks for the update. I think I'll try the "poke and hope" approach. I am NOT up to or mechanically capable of tearing down that powerhead. I've got plenty of time.

Sometimes this is how mechanics are born. The powerhead does not require tearing down... just a case of removing it from the long exhaust housing to get at the sealing "O" Ring and the metal retaining ring. However, I understand the getting at it undertaking. Should you need to go the difficult route, just take pictures and make notes before you dismantle whatever needs removing.

I have replace the tube via the hope & poke method using a flashlight that has a adjustable beam a few times so it is a possible feat.

Do not use silicone!!
Yes, I've heard and read about avoiding silicone. I had some Permatex in the tool box as luck would have it. Speaking of luck, had a go at it this morning and managed to hit the hole after about 20 minutes of struggling. Blew cigarette smoke up the pipe and it came out the pee hole, so I'm hoping we're good to go. Thanks to all for your time and advice.

Speaking of luck, had a go at it this morning and managed to hit the hole after about 20 minutes of struggling. Blew cigarette smoke up the pipe and it came out the pee hole.

All of us had a feeling you could do it, :) and with the above explanation, I think you're good to go!

All of us had a feeling you could do it, :) and with the above explanation, I think you're good to go!
Took the boat up the river yesterday morning, and all appears to be working as it should be. Had previously replaced the clutch dog and forward gear, and am happy to report that the Seahorse stayed in gear from dead slow to WOT. It's great fun(and sometimes expensive) to take a non runner, figure out the problem, and get them back on the water. I payed $200 for my 9.5. Sourced a fuel pump, did a carb kit, plugs, condensers, set the timing, replaced the water pump, clutch dog and forward gear. I figure I have about $500 in that outboard if I don't count my time, but it runs like a scalded dog, and I don't need to tell any of you guys what it would cost to buy a 9.5/9.9 new. I couldn't have done any of the stuff I did with out the help and advice of the readers of this page, and a little help from YouTube. I am truly grateful. Thanks again.

Always a good feeling to know we were able to help... and to hear that "Thank You" echo in the background when all is done.

Back