Logo

Testing 1973 65 HP Evinrude Starter Solenoid

code1p36

Regular Contributor
I have a 1973 65 HP Evinrude that is giving me issues with starting and have drilled it down to being the starter solenoid. When I try to start it the solenoid just makes a loud clicking noise. It has not been replaced in a long time and might be original. I know it is not the safety neutral switch as I am running the ground to the motor (controls have a safety neutral switch in it). I drilled out the rivets to inspect the inside and noticed a small amount of corrosion so I cleaned it up and it works most the time now. I decided to replace this as I knew it would be a temporary fix and the new one installed doesn't work or make a sound. When I bench tested the old one I ran a positive directly off the battery and a negative to battery to the small posts and it works. The new one does nothing with the same test. I know I got the right replacement as it looks identical. Do I have a bad new solenoid?

Thanks for the help.

The wiring is right because it used to work well for a couple years and now off and on. It is correct too after I replaced the solenoid. It usually only gives me problems early in the morning. I have directly jumped the starter and it works and that cable from the solenoid to starter is less than two years old and is good as well. How else do you bench test a solenoid?

Solenoid test.... all wires/cables disconnected.... solenoid being bench tested. Set up a ohm meter so that connecting the meter leads together obtains a full reading.

Connect ohm meter leads to the large solenoid terminals. Connect battery jumper wires to the small 3/8" nut terminals.

If solenoid clicks in hard and the ohm meter gives a full reading, the solenoid is okay.

Since it is intermittent, it could be a bit difficult to run the problem down. You have to be there with a voltmeter when it fails to work. But here is what you are looking for:

1. You say it clicks but starter doesn't run. That means everything between the battery and solenoid primary circuit) is operational. So.....
2. Ok, now to catch it when it clicks but doesn't crank. You have to be there to measure the voltage on the starter side of the solenoid. If it is low (less than 10V) the solenoid could be bad. However, the starter also could be drawing too much amperage.
3. OR......What should have been checked in the first place...battery load test and clean the cable connections shiny bright and tight. Don't just look at them, DO IT. And of course look for rotten or broken cables.

Yep... Running that test a few times without failure, the problem is elsewhere if intermittent. Usually a loose, or tight but dirty connection

Back