Logo

Mercury two stroke cylinder head removal problem

Timbomc

Hi
Apologies if this has been covered before. I own a 2000 Mercury 50hp 3cylinder two stroke s/no OP067122 as the boat is not going to be used through the winter I was going to remove the cyl head and decode inspect piston crowns, head and bores. Unfortunately I can't see how the head un bolts as there is not any bolts visible on the head .The usual gap between head and block appears to be welded (surely not). Is this motor a one piece combined cylinder and head? or is the head secured by bolts from behind? I can confirm the engine is like new and has not been modified or stripped before. The parts list does not show a separate cyl head which is why I suspect this could be the answer.
In the past the many two strokes I have owned have always had the head(s) bolted onfrom above and bolt heads have been exposed / obvious. The task of removing the cylinder heads has been a simple one! Am I missing something or does it require engine removal / full strip down to decoke cylinders???? I can provide photos if required.

Your engine does not have a head as you have found out. This is a lost foam cast block and has no head/ intake /exhaust plates to inspect internals so a comple tear down would needed to inspect. If its running fine just start running some Quikleen in every other tank to decarbon and keep internals free and clean..

Thanks for replies. Which have confirmed my suspicions, but also disappointing that the head can't be removed. Also thanks faztbullet as i am new to boat ownership and I was not aware of quickleen, I have had a search of this liquid and will use as you suggested in future.
cheers

..."..also disappointing that the head can't be removed"

Me too! Love to get in there with my Dremel.

Jeff

Back