Logo

need spark timing for 69 crusader 225 v6

mobiletech

i cant seem to find the info anywhere. someone has been "fixing" these engines for a while before i got to them and i need to reset everything.
spark timing is probably 10 degrees or so? firing order is 165432, if i remember correctly. and the port engine should be reverse rotation?
is this correct?
and if possible, does anyone know the correct spark plug to put in these things?

I don't think Crusader offered a 225 V-6 in 69...Typically, the timing information as well as the rotation are shown on the serial number plate. In addition, Crusader typically offers the standard timing tab over the balancer method of setting timing as well as a viewport in the flywheel cover, with pointers and markings on the flywheel. As far as plugs go, you need to figure out what engines you have and then use your favorite plug makers application guide as many things have changed in recent years.

the engines are crusader blue
the tags on them say chriscraft and list the model as 225 bvc serial # 363265 and 363264 and list the firing order

im assuming its standard chevy v6 but would just like to know the specs for sure so i can get this guy up and running properly

If this is what's called the "odd fire" V-6 engine, you will need to be very careful in that you install ignition distributor indexed correctly. The separation angle between cylinders is unequal or "odd", compared to most engines that have an equal separation angle!

In any event, you will want to not only check and set base or initial advance, but you will also want to look at your progressive and total advance as per #1 cylinder.

This is an example only for a Merc 4.3 L V6.
Your OEM advance curve should be somewhat similar.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/p...MxfjGe-jXeBZVP1fdkfEML_IlW2HWJfi=w560-h468-nc

Last edited:
paint color is usually a very good indication of manufacturer of the engine.
thank you makomark for the info, thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for.

Back