Logo

E150tlcos fuel issue?

artrobry

I have a 1985 evinrude e150tlcos it cuts out when throttling up unless someone constantly is pumping the bulb. I put a new bulb on and the same thing happens. Where should I start in troubleshooting this?

In pumping the fuel primer bulb constantly, you're acting as a manual fuel pump. Diagnose being.......

1 - You have one hellava leak between the fuel pump and the fuel supply resulting in the pump drawing air... BUT... if this was the case, by the same token, you would have one helava fuel leakage at that point.

2 - The fuel pump, whether it has been converted back to a regular fuel pump... OR... if you're still using a VRO, whichever the case might be... the pump has failed.

3 - The operational hose leading from the fuel pump/VRO to the crankcase has split, broke, cracked, whatever. If so, there should be a rather loud noise coming from that hose area.

4 - The related piston that provides the vacuum/pressure to operate the fuel pump/VRO has blown.

I'd suspect a failed fuel pump/VRO.

Is the best option to rebuild the vro or can I use an eltronic fuel pump and bypass the vro? I've seen no fuel leaks while looking at the lines with it running and no loud unusual noises at the operational hose area. Compression on all six cylinders is virtually the same on my compression test.

Last edited:
Don't install an electric fuel pump as they are a fire hazard. Best to rebuild the VRO or get a new one.

Back