Logo

Drainger in the bilge

3-legged-dog

Contributing Member
2003 mercruiser, bravo iii, 350 mag, 4-multi-port drain system, 240 hours.

Last Friday night I jumped into my bilge to check my bilge heater for the cold spell coming. while down there I checked engine oil and firmed up on my drain plugs and did a visual check of the compartment in general. upon slightly touching my lower drain plug I heard a faint click and thought nothing of it. Saturday morning off to fish for some rockfish. I always click the bilge switch before I cast off and again while underway a few hundred yards out. nothing unusual. the day would be 9-4 on the water and around 3 I checked the bilge switch again. this time I was pushing easily 5 gallons of water out. open the bilge compartment and there was a steady drip from the now dreaded water distribution housing. I almost went to tighten the plug. we had a slow creep back to the dock. At the dock I shut off the main water supply and went to replace the bad plug/oring. upon touching the blue drain plug the housing cracked and drained the entire engine and raw water piping system into the bilge.

So is this a dry rot issue with the plastic part. this part is most likely 14 to 15 years old. Not a fan of taking on water.

Attachments

• 20141116_183557.jpg
    20141116_183557.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Not familiar with that part......any chance you could get a bigger pic showing where it is connected?

That said.....either replace it or if you can find the broken part J&B weld it back in place and be generous with the JB weld and run a tap thru it....
That should work well until a new one can be found.

Back